M120 Sample Exam 2 2111 (Fall 2010)
(1) For the function
f (x) = x3 3x2
(1 x 3)
Find f (x) and f (x).
Find the critical points of f (x).
Find any inection points.
Find the values of f at any critical points and at the endpoints. Identify any local
M120 Homework 1 2111 (Fall 2010)
ax + bx + cx = x(a + b + c)
x + ax + bx + ab = (x + a)(x + b)
(a b) = (b a)
(a + b)2 = a2 + 2ab + b2
(a b)2 = a2 2ab + b2
a2 b2 = (a b)(a + b)
a3 b3 = (a b)(a2 + ab + b2 )
a3 + b3 = (a + b)(a2 ab + b2 )
(a + b)3 =
M120 Sample Exam 1 2111 (Fall 2010)
(1) Solve the following equation for x:
= 2+ 3
(2) Let f (x) = 3 x2 1 and g(x) = 3x3 +1. Find the value of h(2) where
h(x) = g(f (x).
(3) Simplify the following expression as much as you can:
2(2x 3) 3
M120 Written Homework 6 (WHW6) due Thurs Oct 14th 2010 (2111 - Fall 2010)
(1) An open rectangular box with a square base is to have a volume of 32m3 . Find the
dimensions of the box that will minimize the surface area of the box.
State and solve the dual
Sections 3.3, 3.4
1. A farmer has 1440 feet of fencing to enclose a rectangular lot and divide it into three equal and
parallel sub lots as indicated. Find the dimensions that will maximize the enclosed area.
State and solv
M120 Sample Exam 3 2111 (Fall 2010)
(1) Assume that the demand equation for yams is given by
D(p) = 5000 10p2
where D(p) is the quantity in pounds of yams and p is the price of a pound of yams.
(a) If the current price of yams is $3 per pound - how many p
Career and Leadership
A Guide to Creating a
What is a resume?
A resume is a document that summarizes your relevant job experience, education, and
skills for the purpose of obtaining
M120 Expanding Powers of Binomial Sums (Fall 2010)
1 5 10 10 5 1
1 6 15 20 15 6 1
1 7 21 35 35 21 7 1
and so on.
The numbers in each line of Pascals Triangle above form the coecients of the terms of (a +
b)1 , (a + b)2
M120 Section 4.1 (Exponential Functions) and Inverse Functions
4.1.1 Exponential Functions
2111 ( Fall 2010)
Refer to your notes from the beginning of the semester on exponential functions e.g.
f (x) = ax
(1) If a > 1, f (x) is an exponential growth funct