Class Name (IE/ENGR):
Geographic Information Systems
Estimated Enrollment: 33
Tim Ormsby, Eileen J. Napoleon, Robert Burke, et
Homework Chapter 12
1) If we buffered Nestf at 500 meters would the buffers overlap?
2) If we buffer nestf at 200 meters, how many streams are intercepted by the
n.b. Homework due at the start of next class. If you will not be at the next class,
Homework Chapter 11
1) How many stands are in Lease_ID = F?
2) How many 100 foot buffered streams cross between Lease-ID = F and Lease-ID
3) How many Ghosthawk nests are in Lease-ID = C?
n.b. Homework due at the start of next class. If you will not b
Homework Chapter 10
1) What are the names of the shopping centers in the LaSierra neighborhood?
2) How many areas of the Canyon Crest neighborhood have zone-code = R-3?
3) The University Town Centre shopping center is in what census tract number?
Homework Chapter 9
1) One of the remedial action cleanups for Piot-75 is to monitor site. How many
wells have this option?
2) In site 1, which well is closest to 38_9_4375?
3) How many Pit75 wells have the metal Ba associated with them?
n.b. Homework due
Homework Chapter 8
1) How many neighborhood parcels are for sale?
2) What is the sales price of the most expensive home for sale?
3) There is a home for sale at the corner of Lawton St. and Western Ave. What is
the owners name?
4) Henry Barnes house is fo
Homework Chapter 6
1) How many diamond mines are Large?
2) Which country has only one large diamond mine?
3) Which countries have Other sources of power?
4) Which country has the lowest pop2000?
n.b. Homework due at the start of next class. If you will no
Homework Chapter 5
1) Which country has the most zebras?
2) Do any countries have no rivers?
3) What is the major city in Cameroon?
4) Which African city has the largest population ?
n.b. Homework due at the start of next class. If you will not be at the
Homework Chapter 3
1) What cities in the Sudan did Earhart stop at?
2) Her shortest flight path was between what two cities?
3) What is the distance, in miles, between Howland Island and Nikumaroro Island
(area of disappearance)?
n.b. Homework due at the
Introduction to GIS
The strict definition of a GIS is that it is an information system designed to work
with data referenced by spatial or geographic coordinates.
In considering information systems, we can differentiate them based on the tasks
Exercise 3- (Amelia Earhart)
-displaying map data
-navigating a map
-looking at attributes
Displaying Data (African Atlas)
Exercise 5 -Symbolizing Features
-symbolizing features by attributes