Revolutionary War Music
1. What was the first official American War song written by an American to inspire the American troops
to beat the British?
2. What instruments did our early troops play as they marched in parades in Boston?
1. Can any story be communicated as a ballad?
2. What is a broadsheet ballad and how were they distributed?
Cheaply printed ballads that were topical, funny, and subversive. They were hawked in England
in the 1500s.
3. What did Bishop Thomas Percy, 1s
1. What kind of music was in North America 800 years ago?
Native American Music
2. What were the three classes of Native American songs?
Traditional- Handed down by generation, Ceremonial and Medicine- Received in Dreams, and
Modern- Had European influenc
1. Which type of Ragtime is still commonly heard today?
The Classic instrumental rag that was popular in ragtimes heyday
2. What does it mean to Rag a piece of music?
To take a well-known tune and change the rhythm of it to make it syncopated, or
1. Who created the Blues?
African American ex-slaves in the deep South in the late 19 th and early 20th centuries
2. Name four early country blues players on 1920s recordings.
Charlie Patton, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Blake, and Son House
1. Name two styles of American music that led to the type called rockabilly.
Country and Rhythm and Blues
2. Whose song Blue Suede Shoes reached #2 on the charts in 1956?
3. What 2 types of music were on the 2 sides of all of Elvis
Latin, Hawaiian, Cajun
1. Name three primary areas that have contributed Latin music to American jazz.
Caribbean, Brazilian, and Mexican
2. Where does the Bossa Nova come from and what does that term mean?
Bossa means distinctive, Nova means new. The term
Doo Wop, Motown, R&B, Girl Groups, Soul & Funk
1. What did Doo-wop put an emphasis on?
Multi-part vocal harmonies and meaningless backing lyrics
2. Name 3 successful groups from Motown.
Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Temptations, the Four Tops
3. Name 2
Folk, Roots & Traditional
1. According to the The Story of American Folk Music 1 video, who did John and Alan Lomax find in a
prison in 1933 to record?
2. How did Mary Jo Guthrie describe her brother Woody?
Small, slender. He made you and
1. Name two groups that launched their careers in a recording session in Bristol TN in 1927.
Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family
2. Name a guitar virtuoso that became the head of RCA in Nashville.
3. Which star of Western Swing had a
1. Listen to Sequence: Natus est hodie Dominus. Organum. What do
a. Acapella singing in Latin I believe. Religous
2. Who was Pope Gregory? What was he famous for?
a. He ruled the church from 590-604. Also known as Pope Gregory th
American Rock Roots
1.Name 2 types of black musical genres of the 1940s and 1950s that helped lay the foundation for rock n
Rhythm and Blues and Gospel
2. Which Ohio DJ in 1951 coined the term "Rock n Roll"?
3. Name a song by Big Joe Turn
Bluegrass and Old Time
1. Who was a mandolin virtuoso and a high-pitched tenor singer that was known for his haunting vocal
calls The High Lonesome Sound and his instrumentals featuring energetic breaks or interludes.
2. Name 5 instruments com
Humor, Dancing & Temperance
1. Who did the song "California as It Is, Comic Song" poke fun at in 1849?
2. Which song made fun of rich women?
3. What did the comic song "The Tee-To-Tal Society" take on?
4. Name a song that lampooned cheating bakers, butche
Tonight I went to the VHCC Choir and Old Time String Band Concert. I had a great time.
The String Band was so good and it was impressive what you all were able to achieve since just
January. Memorizing all the music was a stunni
Parlor Songs, Stephen Foster
1. Name a famous Parlor song from 1823 and one from 1828.
2. Where was Stephen C. Foster born? What year?
3. What instrument did he self teach himself with no formal training?
4. What were his deepest musical influences as a c
What about Watts?
1. How were Isaac Watts psalm paraphrases and hymns sung throughout the British colonies?
They were sung to existing sacred tunes
2. Which two of his books were published in London in 1707 and 1719?
Hymns and Spiritual Songs, The Psalms
Minstrel Shows & Appalachian Music
1. Who performed in Minstrel shows?
2. The blackface character joined what other two character types in popularity?
3. Name 3 early American entertainment traditions that minstrel evolved from.
4. Although these racist s
1) What is music?
a) Music is defined as vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce
beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Music can be made both from an
instrument or any sound, even a pen dropping.
2) What a
Brittany Vicars, Peyton Morrison, and Jesten Reavis
American Rock Band Presentation
Steve Miller Band
Our presentation was through a PowerPoint, so I put the PowerPoint in outline form to turn in.
o The Steve Miller band is an American Rock band
1. What was the movement called during the mid 1700's to the early 1800's when people enjoyed
singing and wanted to know more about it? Some folks that were tradesmen, tavern owners, tanners
and others became popular for their ability to te
1. Name 5 songs of the Underground Railroad.
2. What did the Drinking Gourd really refer to in the song Follow the Drinking Gourd?
3. Which Underground Railroad song alerted slaves to know that it was not safe to try to escape at the
Early Singing Methods
1. What is another name for Shape Note Music?
2. Did shape note singing thrive mostly in rural or urban areas?
3. How did the shapes help people learn to sing?
To help people who didnt know how to read music
Work,Technology & Expansion
1. What was the first printed sheet music song about railroads?
2. What kind of characters were depicted as heroes in railroad songs?
3. What kind of motions would have been synchronized by the rhythms in railroad songs?
1. The religious newcomers" were the Methodists, Baptists, Mormons, African American Christians and
the Christian Churches. What were the Congregationalists, Presbyterians and Anglicans considered to
The Standing Order
2. The concern of psalmody is fi
1. Some of the earliest European settlers in America, those of the fated Roanoke settlement of 1588 left
no record of what music they may have brought to America. We can only guess but it is likely that most
of what they may have brought were songs of the
In February, I was driving home from work and was listening to the radio and they were
giving away concert tickets for the Spring Fling Tour. The tour featured Bear Hands, Foals,
Silversun Pickups, and Cage the Elephant. I
The Swing Era
1. In the 1930s, which city became the center of jazz activity, as it has remained to the present day?
New York City
2. Jazz musicians were booked into larger venues during the Depression. How did this affect the size of
the jazz bands?
1. 1775 First piano-forte manufactured in America by John Behrent of Philadelphia. What is a pianoforte?
Soft and loud Piano
2. Do you think most people owned a piano-forte in New England during the late 1700's?
Probably the Rich and high soci
Unit 4 1820-1860
This unit discusses songs of the Underground Railroad, parlor songs,
popular songs by Stephen Foster, railroad and ship songs, minstrel shows
&temperance movement music & songs of the
abolitionists, sectionalists, Westward pioneers & App