Study Guide 6
1. Who is Stan Cohen and Herb Boyer? What did each contribute to the early genetic engineering
2. What is the difference between general nucleases and restriction nucleases?
3. Define the following terms:
Study Guide 1
Discovery of Microbes and Cell Structure
Match the following terms with the phrase that describes it. Each phrase could have more than one
corresponding terms. Some of these items may be review from basic biology but should be covered.
Study Guide 3
1. Make a general diagram of how metabolism is broken down into catabolism and anabolism. Show how
energy is changed or lost.
2. Match the following terms (a-j) with the phrase(s) (1-10) that best describes it.(can be use
Study Guide 5
Mutations and Transformation
Biology 65R students: Turn this assignment in next week.
1. Using diagrams draw out the three most frequent types of mutations caused by DNA polymerase
2. Using diagrams (on a separate sheet of paper) draw out th
Study Guide 7
1. Match the following terms:
1. Herpes viruses remain dormant in this fashion
a) complex virus
2. when a cell breaks open
3. a virus that has RNA as the nucleic acid
4. makes DNA from DNA
5. makes DN
Study Guide 2
1. Put the following organisms in the right kingdom or domain (if applicable)
1. Saccharomyces cerivisiae
2. Herpes virus
5. California Kelp
8. Escherichia coli (E. co
Study Guide 9
The Infectious Disease Process
1. Matching (can have more than one match and can be used more than once)
c) normal flora
f) innate immunity
1. Nonspecific immunity acting aga
Study Guide 4
1. What are the end products when the following microorganisms ferment of glucose?
E. Our muscle cells
2. What are three main differences between aerobic r
Study Guide 9
Acquired Immune System
a) natural passive immunity
c) constant region
e) histocompatibility proteins
f) artificial passive immunity
g) variable region
1) binding site for an
Study Guide 11
I. Match terms with definitions.
1) Virus that causes AIDS
2) HIV envelope gp120 binds cells displaying this protein
3) Major protein in HIV envelope
4) Type of skin cancer found a
Slide 2: Question and Hypothesis
Question : Between the door handle and soap hand
dispenser, which would we find the most bacteria ?
Hypothesis: Because door handle is the place where
people use and touch every day, there will be
ESSENTIAL CHEMISTRY FOR BIOLOGY
MATTER: ELEMENTS AND COMPOUNDS
MATTER ANYTHING THAT OCCUPIES SPACE AND HAS MASS.
HAS 3 FORMS: SOLID, LIQUID, AND GAS
MASS IS A MEASURE OF THE AMOUNT OF MATERIAL IN AN OBJECT.
ELEMENT IS A SUBSTANCE THAT CANNOT
DNA - Complement
DNA - Gene
Things to remember:
1. DNA sequences only have A, C, T, and G nucleotides.
INTRODUCTION: BIOLOGY TODAY
The Scientific Study of Life
Biology the scientific study of life
Science an approach to understanding the natural world that is
based on inquiry
Discovery Science describes nature
Hypothesis-driven Science explai
Patterns of Inheritance
GENETICS AND HEREDITY
Heredity is the transmission of traits from one generation to the
Genetics the scientific study of heredity.
Began in 1860s by Gregor Mendel with his study of peas.
He determined that paren
Obtaining Energy from
Energy Flow and Chemical
In almost all the ecosystems of Earth,
energy starts with the sun
Photosynthesis plants convert the
energy of sunlight to the chemical energy
of sugars and other o
Genetics Practice Problems - Simple Worksheet
1. For each genotype below, indicate whether it is heterozygous (He) or homozygous (Ho)
2. For each of the genotypes be