a form of metabolism in which inorganic compounds are used to generate energy.
Modificatoin of cellular components to form a new structure, such as a spore
an organism's full complement of genes
1. Cell Yield
2. the amount of cells that can grow on a specific medium
3. Factors that affect the Cell Yield
4. size of bacteria
5. nutrients needed by bacteria
7. vacuum sealing
11. How does temperature affe
What are macronutrients?
Nutrients required in large amounts
What is metabolism?
chemical activity of life and involves catabolism and anabolism.
What is catabolism?
The break down of complex molecules into organic building blocksEnergy
Who established the method of scientific nomenclature?
What are the two parts of an organisms name?
Genus and species epithet
What is the saturation effect of transport proteins?
If concentration of substrate is high enough to saturate the trans
1. What is a Mutation?
2. A heritable Change in DNA sequence that can lead to a change in phenotype
3. What is a Mutant?
4. A strain of any cell or virus differing from a parental strain in genotype
5. What is a wild-type strain?
6. strain of mutation iso
What are the general characteristics of Viruses?
Obligatory intracellular parasitesContain DNA or RNAContain a protein
coatSome are enclosed by an envelopeMultiply inside living cells by using the
synthesizing machinery of the cellLack enzymes for protei
1. BIOL 3380 Exam 1
2. Christine MD Thu Sep 15 22:39:57 CDT 2011
3. What is the correct sequence of steps as energy is extracted from glucose during
4. glycolysis acetyl CoA citric acid cycle electron transport chain
5. What is the c
What is sterilization?
The killing or removal of all viable organisms from a growth medium or surface.
What is decontamination?
Treatment of an object to make it safe to handle
What is disinfection?
The use of specialized chemicals or physical agents to
What is Pelagibacter ubique?
1354 genes0.5% of all prokaryotes20% of prokaryotes in oceans
What is Bartonella?
A papule at the site of infection followed by swollen lymphnodes, malaise and
fever for few weeksWhen cat claws a human they are infected with
What is microbiology?
The study of microorganism which includes viruses
What are microorganisms?
all single celled microscopic organisms and include viruses( microscopic but not
How do microbial cells differ from cells of plants or animals?