REVIEW SHEET FOR FINAL EXAMINATION
PUBH 6003: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE OF EPIDEMIOLOGY
1). You will be responsible for reviewing the following course materials:
Chapters 1 - 16 and the end-of-chapter questions in the textbook by
Aschengrau and Seage.
SAMPLE QUESTIONS FOR FINAL EXAMINATIONPubH 6003
PLEASE CIRCLE THE ONE CORRECT ANSWER FOR EACH QUESTION
1. An appropriate indicator of the virulence of an infectious agent in a population is:
the attack rate
the case fatality rate
Review Questions for Measures of Disease Frequency
1. Define and give the formulas for each of the following measures of disease frequency:
prevalence, cumulative incidence, and incidence rate.
2. What are the key differences between each of the following
FRAMEWORK FOR YOUR JOURNAL ARTICLE CRITIQUES
(Complete a separate framework for each publication)
What was the context of the study?
What were the study objectives?
What was/were the primary exposure(s) of interest? How were they measured (2
Answers Review Questions on Measures of Disease Frequency
1. Prevalence measures the frequency of existing disease; it measures the proportion of the total
population that is diseased at a point or during a period of time.
P= # existing cases_
# in total
Week 2 CASE STUDY
AN OUTBREAK OF HEMORRHAGIC
FEVER IN AFRICA
AN OUTBREAK OF HEMORRHAGIC FEVER IN AFRICA
After completing this case study, the student should be able to:
1. List the criteria for deciding whether
Steps in an Outbreak Investigation
1) Establish the existence of the epidemic
2) Confirm the diagnosis
3) Develop a case definition
4) Identify/count cases to determine who is at risk
5) Describe the cases by time, place, person
6) Develop a hypothesis an