Discovering the frozen slugs, I decided it seemed best not to ask too many questions.
When I discovered the frozen slugs, it seemed best not to ask too many questions.
Soon after repairing my record player, I was mad when the rubber band snapped and
1. Far too many children are spending their days in underfunded daycare centers.
2. To comply with the new laws, a family daycare provider must contend with too many
3. Outside, an ice cream truck was ringing its bell, but the children wer
1. School teachers have a high incidence of moonlighting.
2. Maybelle wanted to leave Minneapolis to avoid the harsh winter weather.
3. Jackson and LeGuin use similar strategies to portray the conflict between individual
conscience and the influence of th
1. Every employee should demonstrate commitment to ethical behavior, respect for the
rules of confidentiality, and courtesy to coworkers and customers.
2. Company policy strictly prohibits disorderly conduct, horseplay in the work area,
1. The health food store features good bargains every weekend.
2. The store manager said he would be happy to stock more locally produced produce if
he saw evidence of customer demand.
3. The desk clerk in the hotel did not know if the rooms would be avai
1. Once we were at college, Maura and I started having long talks on the phone, first
about nothing at all and then about everything.
2. In his own redneck way, Bama Gibson was a perfectly nice man, but he was not
exactly mayoral material.
3. My grandfath
1. The candidate decided to drop out of the race when she fell to sixth place in the polls.
2. The main character tends to damage relationships with everyone she meets.
3. Every Saturday morning, local truck farmers distribute organic produce to the farme
1. I wrote to Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.
2. Horse Lowe put his big red face into Mauras window, beat on the windshield with his
fist, and told me to get the hell off his property.
3. Geraldine was not surprised to see the lock of the cupboard smashed a
1. The legacy of slavery still haunts America.
2. The local economy has experienced some unexpected reversals.
3. Communication is the key to employer-employee relationships.
4. Religious differences can cause friction in family life.
Gadgets: New rules for in-flight devices
Following the recent change in policy about the use of personal electronic devices on
airplanes, which allows passengers to use their devices from gate to gate without having to turn
them off during takeoff and lan
If he could bring himself to use the blackish stuff
Although his brown dog would stand out sharply in silhouette against a light road
When it moved into soft, dappled undergrowth
Whereas something bizarre and intolerable occurred
Nobel Peace Prize: Highly overrated?
Following the recent Nobel Peace Prize given to the Organization for the Prohibition of
Chemical Weapons for working to find and destroy the Syrian Governments chemical weapons,
a discussion has risen over how the cove
Drones: When deliveries come from the sky
Following Amazons recent announcement of the Amazon Drone, GPS-controlled, quad-rotor
helicopter type drones that could deliver packages ordered online in around thirty minutes, which
will be used within five year
Campaign Finance: Free Speech vs Corruption
Following recent campaign finance law changes, people are debating if it is fair or not to limit
how much money Americans can give to individual political candidates. On one hand, limiting
the amount one can don
The Minimum Wage: Should it be raised?
Following the recent realization that people working for minimum wage would have to go to
extremes to support their families, two sides have risen up over this. On one hand, millions of
people are living below the of
1. Oliver Sacks is a neurologist. - linking
2. Sacks studies patients with unusual neurological disorders. -transitive
3. He sometimes publishes his case studies in The New Yorker. -transitive
4. His description of Mr. I also appears in the book An Anthro
The Marines: When Women pass the test
Following three womens recent completion of the Marine Corps intense training course which
challenges military recruits physical and psychological boundaries, two sides have formed over
the admission of women into the
In the column for the New York Times titled The Gun Rampage Next Time, the author claims
that a growing ease of access to weapons today is to blame for the increased shootings within the
past few years. Specifically, the author mentions the Newt
October 1, 2013
America is plagued by problems today, ranging from the poor economy to the
interventions in wars of other countries. However one of the major problems that needs to be
addressed is the problem of gun contro
Death of an Innocent
Death of an Innocent is about a young man named Christopher McCandless, who sells or gives
away everything he has, somehow travels to Alaska, and attempts to live in the wild. He is
successful for a while, but then, after being trappe
Walden and Transcendentalism
Transcendentalism came from European Romanticism to America because America wanted an
all-American philosophy. Romantic can be described as fanciful, unrealistic, and adventurous.
Transcendentalists rely more on intuition than
Revising/Editing: Appositives and Absolutes (2-3)
Original: America is plagued by problems today, ranging from the poor economy to the interventions
in wars of other countries.
Revision: America, the worlds leading country in preserving peace,
Elements of Style Exam Study Topics
Crito by Plato
In Crito, Socrates is in prison for an unknown crime, and he is sentenced to death. His friend,
Crito is in the room, and tells Socrates his death is almost here. Crito tells Socrates that he can
1. Types of Extinctions.
Mass Extinction: a significant rise in extinction rates above the normal level; a widespread and often global event in which major
groups of species are wiped out over a short period of time.
Background Extinction: norma
Revising/Editing: Focusing on Word Choice (3.1)
Original: Rest and relaxation seems like the only thing left to do, when all of a sudden, out of the darkness, the
sound of gunfire is heard.
Revision: : Rest and relaxation on the soft sofa, dri