1. Types of Extinctions.
Mass Extinction: a significant rise in extinction rates above the normal level; a widespread and often global event in which major
groups of species are wiped out over a short period of time.
Background Extinction: norma
Elements of Style Exam Study Topics
Crito by Plato
In Crito, Socrates is in prison for an unknown crime, and he is sentenced to death. His friend,
Crito is in the room, and tells Socrates his death is almost here. Crito tells Socrates that he can
Revising/Editing: Appositives and Absolutes (2-3)
Original: America is plagued by problems today, ranging from the poor economy to the interventions
in wars of other countries.
Revision: America, the worlds leading country in preserving peace,
Walden and Transcendentalism
Transcendentalism came from European Romanticism to America because America wanted an
all-American philosophy. Romantic can be described as fanciful, unrealistic, and adventurous.
Transcendentalists rely more on intuition than
Death of an Innocent
Death of an Innocent is about a young man named Christopher McCandless, who sells or gives
away everything he has, somehow travels to Alaska, and attempts to live in the wild. He is
successful for a while, but then, after being trappe
October 1, 2013
America is plagued by problems today, ranging from the poor economy to the
interventions in wars of other countries. However one of the major problems that needs to be
addressed is the problem of gun contro
In the column for the New York Times titled The Gun Rampage Next Time, the author claims
that a growing ease of access to weapons today is to blame for the increased shootings within the
past few years. Specifically, the author mentions the Newt
Revising/Editing: Focusing on Word Choice (3.1)
Original: Rest and relaxation seems like the only thing left to do, when all of a sudden, out of the darkness, the
sound of gunfire is heard.
Revision: : Rest and relaxation on the soft sofa, dri
1. The characters appear, one after another, vivified by their attitudes,
desires, and opinions as much as by their histories and their fates. Surely
Augustine St. Clare, Tom's owner in New Orleans, is an exquisite portrayal
of a humane but indecisive man
Basic Composition Devices
Breaking something down into
its constituent parts in order to
examine the way it is put
together, often to explain why
something is the way it is
Acknowledging the presence of
Revising/Editing: Making Allusions
Portfolio Assignment 3-4
1. On a sheet of notebook paper, begin by creating a t-chart and label it as follows:
Emotions, Sensations, and Ideas
How will this help you ac
Drone takes out Taliban Leader
Following the recent CIA drone programs strike on the Taliban militant group, leaving its leader
dead, two sides have risen up on the outcome and effects of this attack. On one hand, people feel that a
major threat to the se
Excerpt B from Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
By Frederick Douglass
I find, since reading over the foregoing Narrative, that I have,
in several instances, spoken in such a tone and manner,
respecting religion, as may possibly lead those unacq
1. The government has ended most graduate school deferments.
2. The marching band played fight songs.
3. A squad of cheerleaders did cartwheels along the banks of the Rainy River.
4. You can not fix your mistakes.
5. You have to put your own precious flui
1. Both Shamengwa and Shamengwas father loved the fiddle.
2. Both his mother and, ultimately, his father lost the capacity for joy.
3. The narrator does not give Corwin a break not because he believes he is innocent but
because he hopes he can be redeemed
1. Even after two decades it is possible for me to close my eyes and return to that porch at the Tip
Top Lodge. There is an image in my mind of the old guy staring at me. Elroy Berdahl: eightyone years old, skinny and shrunken and mostly bald. His outfit
1. I sometimes went along with my father on housecalls on Sunday mornings - independent
2. He loved doing housecalls more than anything else, -independent
3. For they were social and sociable as well as medical. independent
4. He would have a typed list o
The Marines: When Women pass the test
Following three womens recent completion of the Marine Corps intense training course which
challenges military recruits physical and psychological boundaries, two sides have formed over
the admission of women into the
1. Oliver Sacks is a neurologist. - linking
2. Sacks studies patients with unusual neurological disorders. -transitive
3. He sometimes publishes his case studies in The New Yorker. -transitive
4. His description of Mr. I also appears in the book An Anthro
1. The legacy of slavery still haunts America.
2. The local economy has experienced some unexpected reversals.
3. Communication is the key to employer-employee relationships.
4. Religious differences can cause friction in family life.
1. I wrote to Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.
2. Horse Lowe put his big red face into Mauras window, beat on the windshield with his
fist, and told me to get the hell off his property.
3. Geraldine was not surprised to see the lock of the cupboard smashed a
1. The candidate decided to drop out of the race when she fell to sixth place in the polls.
2. The main character tends to damage relationships with everyone she meets.
3. Every Saturday morning, local truck farmers distribute organic produce to the farme
1. Once we were at college, Maura and I started having long talks on the phone, first
about nothing at all and then about everything.
2. In his own redneck way, Bama Gibson was a perfectly nice man, but he was not
exactly mayoral material.
3. My grandfath
1. The health food store features good bargains every weekend.
2. The store manager said he would be happy to stock more locally produced produce if
he saw evidence of customer demand.
3. The desk clerk in the hotel did not know if the rooms would be avai
1. Every employee should demonstrate commitment to ethical behavior, respect for the
rules of confidentiality, and courtesy to coworkers and customers.
2. Company policy strictly prohibits disorderly conduct, horseplay in the work area,
1. School teachers have a high incidence of moonlighting.
2. Maybelle wanted to leave Minneapolis to avoid the harsh winter weather.
3. Jackson and LeGuin use similar strategies to portray the conflict between individual
conscience and the influence of th
1. Far too many children are spending their days in underfunded daycare centers.
2. To comply with the new laws, a family daycare provider must contend with too many
3. Outside, an ice cream truck was ringing its bell, but the children wer
Gadgets: New rules for in-flight devices
Following the recent change in policy about the use of personal electronic devices on
airplanes, which allows passengers to use their devices from gate to gate without having to turn
them off during takeoff and lan
If he could bring himself to use the blackish stuff
Although his brown dog would stand out sharply in silhouette against a light road
When it moved into soft, dappled undergrowth
Whereas something bizarre and intolerable occurred