Chapter 9: All of the caribbean islands became integrated into the tropical
plantation system. All of the island began to realize that the easiest and number
one way of gaining a large profit from the islands was through the plantations.
Caribbean Final Review Sheet
- Gens de Couleur: means people of color, these people were friends of mixed
Haitians and were given no representation.
- Amis Des Noirs: means friends of the blacks, they were mixed Haitians.
- Vincent Oge: he was
Creole born in the new world
Father called his son Francois Dominique (French Dominican)
Called Fatras Baton because he was weak and puny
He went swimming, running, horse riding, etc. and was then called Centaure Des
Savannes (man w
Revolution After Toussaint
People of Haiti got together and whooped the French
French forced to leave Haiti in 1803
Dessaline gave Haiti back its Creole name Mountin and declared its independence
Mixed Haitians assassinated him in 1806
Haiti converted bac
- Society of West India Planters and Merchants: when prices and taxes started going up
on sugar, the planters and the merchants had to join together to prevent total losses, they
conjoined and made this group.
- Middle Passage: mid way point on the way ba
Trinidad, ABC islands, and S islands were non-british
Trinidad was controlled by the Spanish
Trinidad was called useless because it has no gold so no attempts were made to settle
Spanish govt gave a contract to a man to settle Tr
Caribbean Review Sheet
- Antilles: 7 Portuguese bishops went into the ocean and said they founded this island
where they said they set up 7 cities and mapmakers believed the fake story, and put the
island on the map, when it didnt actually exi