Biodiversity- the degree of variation of life. This can refer to genetic variation, species variation,
or ecosystem variation within an area, biome, or planet.
How many species are there?
- 1.8 million of described species.
Darwins Focus on Adaptation Notes
- inherited characteristics of organisms that enhance their survival and reproduction
chances in specific environments.
- A process in which individuals that have certain inherited traits te
Cell Structure and Function Notes
- Chromosomes are universal.
- These are important in protein synthesis.
- Chain of ribosomes
- Speed up protein process.
- made of phosphor lipids
Lamarks Hypothesis of Evolution:
- Known for incorrect mechanism proposed.
-Use and disuse
- Ideas that parts of the body that are used extensively become larger and stronger,
while those not used deteriorate.
- Inheritance of acquired cha
Campbell Biology in focus notes
The Darwinian Revolution challenged traditional views of a young Earth inhabited by
Scala Naturae and classification of species:
- Aristotle viewed species as unchanging, long before Darwin was born.
The Voyage of the Beagles Notes
The Voyage of the Beagle:
- Chart shows poorly known stretches of the South American coastline.
- Darwin spent most of his time, collecting plans and animals along the shoreline.
- noted characteristics that make organism w
Tonicity- a characteristic of an extracellular solution, indicates how cells behave when
exposed to it.
- Tonicity- Tonicity depends on Osmolarity, relative to that of a cell.
- Cell shrinks, when high core outside the cell, so wa
Diffusion- movement of particles as a result of random thermal motion, from a region of
high chemical potential to a region of low chemical potential.
Ficks Law of Diffusion:
- Flux= conductance, Driving Force, both are directly proportion
Overview of transcription notes
Transcription- the first step of gene expression, in which a particular segment of DNA is
copied into RNA by the enzyme RNA polymerase.
- Split occurs at DRI = origin of replication.
- Diploid- 6 billion nucleotides
Phylogeny of life/cell structure and function notes
- Phylogeny- evolutionary history of a species or a group of species.
- Phylogenetic tree- branching diagram reflecting group history.
- 1.8 million species classified.
- Estimated diversity may be 10-10