Mutually supportive relationships among interest groups, government agencies, and legislative
committees with jurisdiction over a specific policy area are known as ( _
2. "(_ _)" literally means "friend of the court."
3. The NAACP
1. (_ _) are issues about which most people devote some thought and
have an opinion.
2. The (_ _) is when political leaders give good citizen responses,
whether they are truthful or not.
3. Age group differences in politics and public opinion are s
1. "Grant-in-aid programs enable the federal government to address truly national programs"
would be a statement made by (_) of federal aid.
2. The McCulloch case established the principle that the (_ _ _
_) gives Congress the right to choose its m
1. Free use of the U.S. mails granted to members of Congress is identified as the (_
2. Voters in a presidential election are actually chosing a slate of (_ _ )
pledged to vote for their party's presidential and vice presidential cand
1. A third party formed by a dissatisfied faction of a majority party is a(n) (_
2. Individuals selected to attend the national Democratic convention because of their position in
government or the party, and who are not pledged t
1. (_) is the most powerful medium of communication.
2. (_ _) is the power of government to prevent publication or to require
approval before publication, generally prohibited by the First Amendment.
3. Media professionals are not neutral
1. Judicial review developed under the Supreme Court leadership of (_ _)
in the Marbury v. Madision case in 1803.
2. During the discussions in Philadelphia, a plan proposed by Edmund Randolph for a legislature
with two houses, is known as (_ _ _).
1. The belief in social mobility reduces the potential for class conflict because it diminishes
2. The elimination of artificial barriers to success in life and the opportunity for everyone to
strive for success are referred to as (_ _ _).
CHAPTER NINE: INTEREST GROUPS:
GETTING THEIR SHARE AND MORE
INTEREST GROUP POWER: Interest groups seek to influence government
policy. Organization concentrates power and concentrated power prevails over
unorganized interests. The First Amendment gi
INTEREST GROUPS: GETTING THEIR SHARE AND MORE
To many, the concept of interest groups and their associated power have long held a
fascination. James Madison referred to interest groups as factions in his writings, particularly