144. When you measure the average energy of
motion of the molecules of a substance, you are
measuring its _.
145. The symbol for temperature difference is
146. A measure of the average energy of motion of
the molecules in a substance is termed
Complete each sentence or statement with one of the following terms. On the answer sheet fill in
the corresponding letter from each column.
The total amount of matter contained in an object is known
140. Give the equation for density.
141. When we are talking about electron charges, we say that unlike charges
_ each other and like charges _ each other.
142. Heat always moves from regions of _ [higher, lower] temperature to
regions of _ [lower, higher
111. The temperature inside a house is 70 F.
Outside the house the temperature is 40 F. The
temperature difference is _.
112. Temperature is _.
a scalar quantity
b. a measure of molecular motion
d. both a and b
128. In a room, heat from a space heater will travel
from the warmer area around the
heater, to the cooler area of the room
b. from the cooler area of the room to the warmer area of the room
c. from the ceiling to the floor
129. The reason that we i
120. Heat is a measure of what form of energy?
b. vibrating motion of atoms and molecules
c. the sun
121. What is the temperature difference or T of
95C and 62C?
122. Given that F = C + 32, find the temperatu
104. Movement of an electrical current in one
direction through a conductor is called
b. alternating current
d. indirect current
105. In electrical systems, voltage acts as
71. All fluid systems can be classified as either
solid or liquid
d. pneumatic or gas
b. hydraulic or liquid
72. If 10 cm of a substance has a mass of 105gm,
what is its density?
Absolute pressure is the _ pressure measured above a reference of zero pressure.
d. none of these
_ is a fluid system that uses air or gas as a fluid.
What is the Englis
A column of air that extends from sea level to the edge of outer space and has a cross-sectional
area of one square inch _.
weighs 14.7 lb
is the cause of atmospheric pressure
weighs about 2117 lb/ft2
weighs the same as a column of water one s
What substances are considered fluids?
a. gases only
b. liquids only
c. gases and liquids
Hydraulic systems use _and pneumatic systems use _.
a. gas, liquid
b. liquid, gas
c. fluid, liquid
d. gas, fluid
An object will sink in water if its buoyant force is