CHAPTER 2: SCIENCE, MATTER, AND ENERGY
Briefly describe how science works. State the questions science tries to answer. Summarize scientific methods.
Distinguish between science and technology, and between frontier science and consensus s
All Environmental Systems Consist
Matter is anything that occupies space and has mass
Law of conservation of matter (nutrients recycled)
Mass is the amount of matter (mass vs weight)
Smallest piece of matter is th
Chapter 13: The Union and Peril
The Divisive Politics of Slavery
Differences between the North and the South
-These two sections had developed different ways of life by the 1850s.
-North- Industry and Immigration
-Many immigrants from Europe entered the i
CHAPTER 16ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND RENEWABLE ENERGY
1. The heating bill for the office-home of Amory Lovins in Snowmass, Colorado is
a. $300 a month
b. $300 per year
c. less than $500 per year
d. less than $100 per year
e. less than $50 per y
CHAPTER 3ECOSYSTEMS: WHAT ARE THEY AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
1. Although tropical rain forests are only 2% of the earths land surface, they contain what percentage of the earths land plants and
CHAPTER 15NONRENEWABLE ENERGY
1. The Industrial Revolution began in Europe how many years before the present?
2. The internal combustion engine was invented in what year?
CHAPTER 14GEOLOGY AND NONRENEWABLE MINERAL RESOURCES
1. A common form of extracting gold from rock used in Australia and North America is
a. power flushing
b. cyanide heap leaching
c. sulfuric acid leaching
d. hydraulic scouring
CHAPTER 12FOOD, SOIL, AND PEST MANAGEMENT
1. The human population continues rapid growth. Each day, how many more people must be fed?
2. In Australia and New Zealand about one-third of a
CHAPTER 2SCIENCE, MATTER, ENERGY, AND SYSTEMS
1. In an experiment, which of the following would not change the chosen variable?
a. experimental group
b. controlled experiment
d. control group
2. In 1963 Bormann
CHAPTER 1ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS, THEIR CAUSES, AND SUSTAINABILITY
1. Which of the following is not a goal of environmental science?
a. learn how nature works
b. understand how we interact with the environment
c. find ways to deal with env