18. The atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 lb/in
19. Liquids or gasses move in a fluid system when pressure difference exit between
different points in the system.
20. The electrical forces rule of attraction is like charges attrac
31. Pressure in fluid systems is defined as
force times the area upon which the
b. force divided by the area upon which the force acts
c. force time the volume of the fluid
d. force divided by the volume of the fluid
32. _ must exist betw
37. The term, 115-volt AC, 60 Hz, means that the
voltage is 115 volts at he the alternating current
alternates or cycles 60 times per
b. changes direction 120 times per second
c. has a frequency of 60 cycles per second
d. all of these
42. When two forces of different magnitude act on
an object in opposite directions, the object is in
43. A net force of zero means that all forces acting
on an object create_.
48. The torque exerted on the driven gear in the
following diagram is _. (Remember
T = FL.)
b. 40 lbft
d. none of these
49. The torque of a system whose force (F) is 30 lbs
and length (L) is 2 ft is _.
52. Heat moves _.
from cool areas to b.
from warm areas
to cool areas
53. Weight can be measured with _.
a spring scale
d. a graduated cylinder
b. a ruler
54. The amount of matter that a certain object
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
26. When we use the English
system of units, mechanical
force is measured in pounds.
When we use metric (or SI)
units, mechanical force is
Practice Mid Year 2010
Indicate whether the statement is true or false. On the answer sheet let A represent True and B
1. Weight is a measure of mass.
2. Torque is rotation only in the counter clockwise (ccw) direction.
A car maintains a speed of 60 miles per hour for 5 hours. How many miles will the car have
A car moves 55 meters in 10 seconds. Find the linear speed of the car.
A car accelerates from stop to 10m/sec in 2 sec. Whats the cars acceleration?
234. A weight of 10 N displaces a piston filled with air 0.1 m. If the change of
volume in the piston is 0.05 m3, what is the pressure in the piston?
(The piston is 100 % efficient.)
235. What is the efficiency of a machine that has a work input
63. The unit for mass in the SI system is
64. _ is a measure of the earths
gravitational pull on the object.
65. Torque equals the applied force times the lever
arm. What would the tor