1. Relative Temperature/Relative Speed:
West Wind Drift cold/slow
Gulf Stream warm/fast
Canary - cold/slow
Labrador - cold/fast
Agulhas - warm/fast
2. If we look at the Pacific c
1. a) Yes, the 50-fathom isobath allow me to discriminate between the Gulf of Mexico
Shelf off Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, compared to the Width of the West
Florida Shelf. The West Florida Shelf is wider.
b) The West Florida Shelf is a broa
LAB - 9
1. (a) The division between the epipelagic and mesopelagic zones.
The pelagic zone subdivided into ecological zones based on depth: the epipelagic (~0-130m), the mesopelagic
(~130-1000m). Epipelagic is the zone of primary production in the ocean a
Review Questions for Test 4
1. List and describe the regions of the ocean in descending order.
The aphotic zone is an area where light does not penetrate. Ninety percent of the ocean is in this zone. In
the aphotic zone there are deep-ocean regions of tot
1. (c) If this profile were taken during the winter, we might expect to see uniform
temperature in the uppermost 200 m because of mixing by waves. The permanent
thermocline in the oceans occurs between the levels of about 200 meters and 1000
1. a) Bergen, Norway is farthest north.
b) The time difference between New York and Bergen is 5 hours and 17 minutes.
c) The time difference between Seattle and Honolulu is 2 hours.
d) New York from Miami is 885 nautical miles, 1639.9 km.
LAB - 5
2. (a) The range of T and S that defines the water mass produced by mixing water types A and
B in all proportions are Tc=3 +12.2/2 Tc=7.6C ; Sc= 31.3+33 /2 Sc=47.8%o.
(b)The density of the 50-50 mixture of water types A and B is 1.02505.
(c) The t
LAB 8 Waves at Sea
1. a. 13 knots, 24 km/hour.
b. ~4.15 hours
c. The resulting wave heights would not be a problem to boaters, because they are very small (2
feet or 0.6 meters in height).
d. In the winter, the resulting wave heights are much higher, appr
LAB - 7 (Tildes)
1. a) Day 1: (effectively) diurnal; Day 3: semidiurnal; Days 2 & 4: mixed.
b) The least tidal range is 0.2 meters on Day 4.
c) Mean high water for the 4 days is 1.9 meters (average of all the high tides).
d) Sail between ~0600-1500 on Day
1. a) Southern California Divergent boundary
Northern California, Oregon, and Washington - Convergent boundary
Aleutian Alaska - Convergent boundary
2. a) The circum-Pacific belt dominates convergent boundary.
b) Destructive plate boundaries are cha
LAB - 10
(a) Compared to the original dissolved oxygen concentrations, which bottles (light or dark) tend
to have about the same or greater concentrations of dissolved oxygen at shallower depths?
(b) Compared to the original dissolved oxygen concentr