Exercise 2: Bacteria and Protista
1. Know the difference between prokaryotes and eukaryotes (table 2.1).
Most are multicellular but
1 m or less
10 m or
The insertion of plasmid lux and a control plasmid (pUC18) into Escherichia coli via transformation using heat
shock and CaCl2 treatment to make the bacterial cells competent.
In the following experiment, Escherichia coli were transformed usin
Exercise 4: Field Exploration of Plants
*You do NOT need to know the scientific names for the plants; their common
name is sufficient.
*Know the definition of the following terms that were mentioned on your
walk as well as examples of plants t
Exercise 3: Photosynthesis
1. Know equation for photosynthesis.
6HO + 6CO + light CHO + 6O
2. Know equation for cellular respiration.
C6H12O6 + 6O 6HO + 6CO
3. Where does photosynthesis occur?
a. Where do the light reactions occu
Exercise 9: Digestive System
1. Know what the following terms mean and examples of organisms that fall
into these categories:
- Ingestive eaters (most vertebrates) take in food via the mouth
- Absorptive feeders (e.g. roundworms, tapeworms) ab
Exercise 6: Introduction to the Kingdom Animalia
1. For the second half of the semester a lot of dissections were performed so
you should know where the organs are located and what their functions are.
This is where videos and pictures will co
Exercise 8: Nervous System
1. Know the different types of nervous system that the organisms mentioned
in your manual have.
- The simplest nervous system (present in cnidarians) is where
neurons are linked to each other by a nerve net.
- In Pla
Exercise 5: Plant Physiology
*Table 5.1 is a good summary of plants in general.
Task 1: Examine Live Marchantia
1. Marchantia is a type of what?
a. Know how to identify the female reproductive structure. What is the
Exercise 7: Developmental Biology Part I & II
1. Know the four stages of development. Know what happens in the four
(1) Growth: (aka cell division) irreversible increase in size of a
(2) Differentiation: structural and fu
Exercise 1: Introduction, Evolution & the Scientific Method
1. Know the 3 domains.
Bacteria, Archaea, and Eukarya.
2. Know the 4 kingdoms for the Domain Eukarya.
Protista, Plantae, Fungi, and Animalia.
3. Know how to r
Locomotion: difference between Amoeba and
TA Name: James Lee
Genus: Amoeba and Paramecium
Species: Amoeba proteus and Paramecium caudatum
Common name: A. proteus and P. caudatum
1Locomotion: difference between Amoeba and Parameciu