Ashley Michel | Exercise 6 |
Upon this completion of this exercise, the student should be
Determine the optimal Ph and temperature for the
enzyme and explain how extremes of either affect the
Study of Life Worksheet
1. What does VARK stand for? Answer: VARK= Visual, Aural, Read/Write,
Kinesthetic (seeing, listening, reading, feeling)
2. What does the word, biology mean? Answer: the scientific study of life.
Studying Biology can help yo
1. What is an enzyme?
2. What is an active site?
ENERGY- The Circle of life- Our Life depends upon energy
Our energy comes from plants
Plants provide this energy through the process called photosynthesis
Photosynthesis depends upon sun
1.Plants need which of the following to carry out photosynthesis? Answer: Two of the above
2. Another name for the light independent reaction is? Answer: Calvin/ Benson cycle.
3. What is made in the Cyclic LDR? Answer: Energy is used to make? Answer: ATP.
CHEMISTRY 1 WORKSHEET
Define each of the following:
Element: An ELEMENT is something that cannot be broken down.
Atom: All matter is composed of ATOMS. An ATOM is the smallest particle of
Neutron: has a NO (neutral) electronic charge.
Discussion # 2 Atoms
This is a discussion of atoms with Dr. Sonia Hoffman (a physicist), Thomas Harriman (a
poet) and Senator Jack Edwards. Discuss the ideas that these portions of the film raise. Its an
interesting topic Dr. Sonia Hoffman explaining how
Discussion # 4: DNA
As we have read throughout this topic of science, regarding DNA there is no doubt in my mind
that the scientists that made it possible for this work of discovering the root/serial numbers of
DNA wasnt an easy task by them. It started b
How Proteins are Made
DNA never leaves the nucleus
The library of information stored in DNA can only be copied. This is done by m-RNA or
Protein is created by this pathway: DNA to RNA to PROTEIN.
This is called the Central Dogma because
Every organism is composed of cells. The cell is the smallest unit of life. Life comes from
1) How many layers of phospholipids does a cell membrane have? Answer: Two  fat
2) What part of the membrane is hydrophilic? Answe
DNA is the library within our cells that contains the code for future life
o DNA contains the information for future cells of a body to function (Mitosis)
o DNA contains the information to be passed on to future generation SEX
Discussion: 3 The second law of thermodynamics is often used by creationists as the basis
for an argument against evolution
The laws of Thermodynamics is often used by creationists as basis for argument against
evolution, depending on which scientist, per
Dr. Leo Stouder
February 23, 2014.
Home Work: Energy
1. The problem with the diagram is that the following:
12H2O + 6CO2
+ C2H12O6 + 6H2O
Water + Carbon Dioxide sunlight Oxygen + Glucose + Water is wrong.
Dr. Leo Stouder
BSC 1005- General Biology
April 5, 2014.
Extra Credit Questions and Answers.
1. Which of the following is NOT correct about codon?
a) m- RNA has a codon on it.
b) They are three bases attached are called a codon.
Name: Christopher Porter
Subject: BSC 1005
My name is Christopher Porter. I am happily married to a woman! We have two beautiful girls,
who are our world! I am a 100% Disabled veteran with 50% combat wounded injuries of the
Whether or not we want to believe it but both creationists and evolutionists are ideologue with
their own agendas, and the most important thing that has been missing from this discussion is
that both of them are religions! Evolutionists are atheist and do
A property of life
The continuity of life depends upon reproduction
Meiosis is the process of reproducing cells that make future generations
Mitosis is the process of reproduction of body cells
All cells go through a lifetime called the cell
Energy Comes from: Plants
Plants make GLUCOSE
Glucose is formed from a frame work of carbon atoms.
Glucose is the major energy source for life.
Where do the atoms that plants form into glucose come from? environment
Plants are autotrophs be
In my opinion one of the greatest science ever lived is undoubtedly Thomas Edison, for his
works and propels the American landscape with lighting up the nights! He was one of the leading
scientists of all times and is an icon in the world.
He invented ele
1. Different forms of a gene are called _.
2. In a diploid organism, one characteristic or trait has _ alleles.
3. Write out the formulas for heterozygous, homozygous dominant and homozygous
recessive. Use the letter A.
Questions and Answers
1. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of life? Answer: Water.
2. Homeostatic imbalances are considered? Answer: Disease
3. A law can never change? Answer: True
4. The process of building up is called? Answer: Anabolism
Home Experiment: The Book and the Pen.
I held and drop the book and pen at a height of 3 feet to six feet for twenty four times. I watch
them carefully fall to the ground. Each time they fell at or about the same time, and it was hard to
The following methods I am planning to use to be successfully complete (pass!) this class?
The notion that most people thinks about online classes is for lazy, indiscipline, ill-prepared
students is a wrong concept. I used to think that
Importance of Genetics
Genetics- the study of the patterns of inheritance
Can be used for breeding superior plants, animals (Humans?)
Can be used for disease tracing (Prevention?)
Answers questions of inheritance in families
Ideas from the Pa
1. What is the difference between plant and cell cytokinesis?
2. Diagram the life cycle of a cell, show G1, S, G2 and Mitosis:
3. What is a karyotype?
4. What is Trisomy 21? What is it this disorder often called? What is it due to?