1.Which type of radiation - alpha, beta, or gamma - results in the
greatest change in mass number? The greatest change in atomic
Alpha radiation results in the greatest change to both mass number
and atomic number.
2. What is the origin of most of
1. Arrange the following subatomic particles in order of increasing mass
electron < proton=neutron
2. Consider these atoms: helium, He; aluminum, Al; argon, Ar. Rank them, from smallest to
largest, in terms of (a)size, (b) number of electrons.
(a) He (31p
Back & forth
Vertically & horizontally
2. Can S-waves travel through liquid?
3. Name the 2 types of surface waves:
love wage : Up & down
Rayleigh wave: Side to side
4. How did seismic waves contribute to the discovery of Earth's core?
1. How many electrons can occupy the first shell? How many can occupy the second
2 on the first and 8 on the second
2. Which electrons are represented in an electron-dot structure
3. Why does the fluorine atom tend to gain only one
1. How might you separate a mixture of sand and salt ? How about a mixture of iron and
To separate sand and salt, dissolve the salt in water, decant the liquid and evaporate
the water to leave salt crystals. Salt and sand is a heterogeneous mixture t
1.What three sources of heat contributed to the melting and density segregation of early
Gravitational Contraction Heating.
Radioactive Decay Heating
2. What is the most abundant element in the earth as a whole?
3. what is the m