Chemistry Unit 4 TEST Review Atomic Structure-Nuclear Chemistry
1. The atomic mass of an element is equal to the
_ _ _
2. Who was the first person to suggest the idea of atoms in the fourth century B.C.?
3. As a consequence of the discovery of the nucleus
WAHS-Baumgarner Chemistry GAS LAWS UNIT: Unit 3
1. A sample of chlorine gas occupies a volume of 250 mL at a pressure of 760 mm Hg. What volume will the gas occupy if the pressure is increased to 1520 mm Hg, assuming constant temperature? 2. A
1. Compare/contrast the three types of subatomic particles in terms of:
location in the atom protons neutrons electrons
2. How did the discovery of subatomic particles and isotopes affect Dalton's theories? 3. Concerning isot
Write the nuclear symbol for this potassium nucleus.
1. Yttrium was discovered in 1794. It is one of the elements used in superconductors.
How many electrons, protons, and neutrons are in an atom of yttrium88?
2. How many neutrons and protons are in each
1. Bromine79 comprises 50.54% of naturally occurring bromine, and Bromine81
comprises 49.46%. The mass of Br79 is 78.9183 amu. The mass of Br81 is 80.9163. What is the atomic mass of bromine?
2. Element X has two naturally occurring isotopes.
Dalton's Atomic Theory
1. State the five parts of Dalton's Atomic Theory.
2. State the law of conservation of mass.
3. Compound Z is made by chemically combining elements X and Y.
If only 4 grams of
element Y were used to make 12 grams of compound Z, how
1. Isotopes of the same element have different _ numbers.
2. The nucleus of an atom is composed of _.
3. What symbol does zinc have and how many protons and electrons does it have?
4. True or False: Dalton stated that all atoms are always in motion.
1. What is the mass number of an atom that has 20 protons, 22 neutrons and 20
2. The word atom comes from the Greek word atomos meaning
3. In the synthesis of sulfur trifluoride, 33.0 g of sulfur combines with 24.0 g of
fluorine. How many gr
1. What is the half-life of a radioactive substance, if after 36 years, 12.5 g remains
from a 100 g starting sample?
2. What thickness of what material will stop gamma radiation?
3. In a balanced nuclear equation, what must equal on both sides of the equa
WAHS-Baumgarner Chemistry Unit #2
STATES OF MATTER
1. Distinguish between the three states of matter in terms of shape, volume and molecular movement.
2. Name the six possible phase changes that matter can undergo. 3. What is the kinetic molecular theory?