UNITS of Measurement
Why use units?
Without Units, numbers are just numbers and scientists cannot compare results.
For example, if I say my height is 1.7, what does it mean?
However, if I say I have a height of 1.7 meters you know how tall I am.
Scientific Notation and Converting Units
Convenient way to deal with large or small numbers
1000000000 = 1010
.0000000001 = 10-10
Note that when you multiply numbers
10x X 10y = 10(x+y)
When you divide numbers
10x/10y = 10x X 10-y= 10(x-y)
Other Acceleration Equations
1. Use vf equation to solve problems
2. Calculate the distance covered by an
How fast is something going after it accelerates?
1. How quickly does it
2. How long does it
1. give the advantages of the metric system
2. match the base unit to the type of
3. list the common prefixes
developed by the French in the 1700's
later modified to the SI (System
Convert the following measurement from the given prefix to the required prefix.
Write your answers on the blank lines provided.
1.) 12 m =
2.) 0.015 m =
3.) 8464 mm =
Distance vs Time Graphs
Observer is at d = 0 (the whole axis)
Slope = speed
Horizontal lines have zero slope and zero speed
Positive slope indicates that the object is moving away
from the observer
Negative slope indicates that th
Notes: Metric Conversions
1. Convert measurements between
Always start with the unit you are given and count the
number of JUMPS. (Not total spaces.)
1. To go from deci- to kilo-, move the decimal to the
ROTATIONAL MOTION A
1. A beetle standing on the edge of 12- inch 2 kg disk is whirling around at 33 1/3 rotations per minute.
A. Compute the magnitude of the creatures angular velocity. (there are 2.54 cm in an inch)
2. John Glenn was the first American to orbit Earth. In E962. He circled Earth counterclockwise three times
in less than 5 hours aboard his spaceship Friendship 7. If his distance from the Earths center
My colored candles & white candles
Do white candles burn at a different
rate than colored candles?
Which candle would burn at a faster
rate and slower rate?