The Origins of African American Politics
1. Inclusion, not separation = early Af. Amer. political act.
a. Greatest = areas occupied by Union in war
b. (1865 & 1866) Af. AMer. in S meetings, parades, petitions for equality &
c. Cities web of
The Transformation of Piedmont Communities
1. Impact of New South greatest in Piedmont from S. VA N. AL
a. (after 1870) long-est. farms & plantations RR, textile, mill villages,
b. Turn of century Piedmont towns had pop. over 10,000
The Growth of Government
1. Pre-Civil War local gov. attended to promotion & regulation of trade; relied
on private enterprise for vital services
2. Cities more responsible for residents well-being
a. Professional police & firefighting forces
b. Finance s
The Rise of Industry, the Triumph of Business
A. Revolutions in Technology and Transportation
1. Alexander Graham Bell invention of the telephone rise of US to world
leadership in industrial tech.
2. Thomas Edison (Menlo Park, NJ)
a. Incandescent lamp (18
1. Industries grew & cities expanded nations public school sys. expanded
a. Business & civic leaders welfare of society depended on educated pop.
b. Universal free schooling (for white children) took hold
2. Kindergartens esp. flourished
Womans Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) members visited schools to educate
children about evils of alcohol, addressed prisoners & blanketed mens meetings w/
a. At time largest organization of women in world
b. Frances E. Willard leader
1. Large cities new imm. comm. = densely packed ghettos
a. Imm. exper. = more complex than in smaller cities & isolated comm.
b. Workers in urban garment trade toiled for low wages & suffered layoffs,
unemp, poor health
2. NYC center of Jewi
1. Changes in journalism fuel new reform consciousness by drawing attn to
urban poverty, political corruption, plight of ind. workers, immoral business
2. (1890) Jacob Riis How the Other Half Lives
a. NYC poor
c. Powerful impact
Progressive Movement - Unifying Themes
1. 3 basic attitudes under crusades & mvmts from fears of pop.
a. Anger over excesses of industrial capitalism & urban growth
a.i. Essential optimism about citizens ability to improve social & eocn. cond.
The White Mans Burden
1. Columbian Exposition commemorated 400th anniversary of Columbuss
landing May Day (1893) crowds go to fair
2. Agriculture Hall prod. of corn, wheat, other crops
a. Globe surrounded by Amer.-manufac. farm machinery
b. All eyes on wo