PSYC 235-001 Psychology of Language
Exam 2 questions
1. (Camille) It is well established that people are faster at naming a picture
associated with a high- frequency name than one with a low-frequency name. In
one experiment that made use of homophones, J
1. What do linguists mean when they talk about the phonemes of a language? In
your answer, please explain why phonemes are abstract units and justify your
position with a fact or an experimental finding.
a. Phonemes refer to the basic unit
1. (Mira) A child hears the sentence "Daddy blicked the cookie". (You can assume
the child knows the meaning of the words "Daddy" and "cookie" but doesnt know
what the verb blick means.) According to the Syntactic Bootstrappin
1. Malayalam example: couldnt tell the difference because we dont hear individual sounds as a
phonemic difference we interpret each as an nish sound
2. Werker : can babies distinguish b/w phonemes of languages they are not familiar with?