1. According to research, which of the following is not a benefit associated with higher education for police officers?
a. They behave more professionally.
b. Fewer citizen complaints are generated.
c. Crime-fighting ability is enhanced.
d. They have grea
1. According to the principles of choice theory, in order for punishment to most effectively deter crime, it must meet the
following three conditions:
a. Swift, satisfactory, and certain
b. Severe, certain, and punitive
c. Strict, sure, and swift
1. According to the _ view of crime, behaviors that become crimes are essentially harmful to a majority of citizens
and therefore there is general agreement regarding which behaviors need to be controlled.
1. Most police agencies are organized in a(n) _ manner.
a. Cooperative and democratic
d. Corporate and businesslike
The Police Organization
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: ITCJ.SIWO.16.6.1 - Understand the organiz
1. Substantive criminal law is primarily concerned with:
a. Compensating the injured party for harm.
b. Defining crimes and their punishment.
c. Setting out the basic rules of practice in the criminal justice system.
d. Dealing with the government and its
1. If, after conducting a preliminary investigation of the legal merits of a case, a prosecutor decides to take no further
action, this is referred to as a charging warning.
The Formal Criminal Justice Process
1. Which arrangement in early English society required that every person in a village be responsible for protecting the
settlement from thieves?
a. The runner system
b. Community policing
c. The pledge system
d. The watch system
1. Which is a sworn written statement addressed to a court or judge by the police, prosecutor, or individual alleging that an
individual has committed an offense and requesting prosecution?
1. Discussions between defense counsel and prosecution in which the accused agrees to plead guilty in exchange for
certain considerations, such as reduced changes, is referred to as:
a. Plea bargaining.
b. Imploration requesting.
c. Declaration of entreat
1. When the Supreme Court hears cases pertaining to search and seizures, they draw mainly on the _Amendment.
Search and Seizure
LEARNING OBJECT ITCJ.SIWO.16.8.1 - Understand how the Fourth Amendm
1. Which is the Latin term meaning father of his country, which is implied to mean that the government is the true
guardian of the needy and infirmed children?
a. Provisore cura
b. Pater inquilinis
c. Parens patriae
d. Phylaca claustra
1. Although most prisons are classified as medium-security prisons, more than half of all inmates are held in
d. Drug rehabilitation
1. What was the most common state-administered punishment in early Greece and Roman civilizations?
b. Burning at the stake
d. Death penalty
The History of Punishment
LEARNING OBJECTIVES ITCJ.SIWO.16.11.1 -
1. The no-frills approach most likely resembles what correctional ideology?
d. Work release
The History of Correctional Institutions
LEARNING OBJECTI ITCJ.SIWO.16.13.1 - Identify the var