Name Maddie Healy
6.1 Study and Lecture Guide
Please save a copy of this study guide and name it 6.1 StudyGuide_YourName. Fill it out as
you watch the presentation and save it (filled out) and submit it for a grade. Important:
Please use blue font for you
Chapter 3 Guided Reading
1. Why is water considered a polar molecule?
2. For each of the below listed properties of water briefly define the property and
then explain how waters polar nature and polar covalent bonds contribute to the
Chapter 4 Guided Reading
Why is organic chemistry so important in the study of biology?
Why was the Urey-Miller experiment so important?
What is special about carbon that makes it the central atom in the chemistry of
AP Biology: Chapter 1
Introduction: Themes in the Study of Life
1. Why do Biology courses build their content around themes and major
2. List each major theme and briefly describe.
Chapter 14 Guided Reading
1. Who were the two strong influences on Mendels education?
2. Define the following terms:
e. P generation
f. F1 generation
g. F2 generation
Chapter 10 Guided Reading
Label the diagram below.
Explain the experiment reasoning that Van Niel used to understand
Use the diagram to label and identify the two broad stages of photosynthesis.
What is carbon
Chapter 15 Guided Reading
1. What is the chromosomal basis of inheritance?
2. In your own words, explain what is demonstrated by 15.2 on page 287.
3. What does wild type mean?
4. Why was Morgans choice of fruit fly such a good one for ge
Chapter 12 Guided Reading
Compare and contrast the role of cell division in unicellular and multicellular
Define the following terms:
c. Somatic cells
f. Sister chromatids
Chapter 9 Guided Reading
Define the two catabolic pathways:
b. Cellular respiration
Define the following terms:
a. Redox reactions
d. Reducing agent
e. Oxidizing agent
In cellular respir
Name: Maddie Healy
Study Guide for Unit 5 PowerPoint
1. Three examples of fossil fuels could be
2. The fossil fuel that is most abundant and least expensive is
3. The plant material that dies in swampy areas and does not de
7.4 NC Geological History
As you read the article about North Carolinas geological past, you will answer the
following questions. Turn in this document for a grade.
1. When did the landm
Module 12 Lecture and Study GuideClimate and Biomes
1. What is the difference between weather and climate?
Weather is the daily condition of the atmosphere while climate is the long term weather
conditions of a region.
2. Name the 5 cat
The Pamlico Sound
Pamlico Sound is located along the East Coast, in NC. Thousands of species of birds,
mammals, fish, and other wildlife depend on estuarine habitats as places to live, feed, and
reproduce. And many marine organisms, including most commerc
9.4 Upwelling Project
1. Name the 3 types of upwelling
A: equatorial, coastal, seasonal.
2. How does the coriolos force affect ocean surface currents?
A: The Coriolos Effect acts on moving water, because it is not attached to the rotating Earth.
Guided Reading Chapter 32
1. Define the following terms:
2. Label the diagram below of early embryonic development
3. What is believed to be the common ancestor of living anim