Culture. Community. Colonization. In life, people often follow the rules and traditions of
their community because it is all they have ever known. For many people, breaking these
traditions would create an exposure of chaos in their community, having thei
Psychology Notes 1/8/2016
What is Psychology?
o Define Psychology
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind, brain, and behavior.
o A Brief History of Psychology
Was originally very closely related to Philosophy
1. Identify different models (Spearmans g model, triarchic model, theory of multiple
intelligences) and types of intelligence (fluid vs. crystalized)
Intelligence- the ability to learn from experience solves problems, and use knowledge to
1. Identify the primary emotions & describe how we differentiate emotions (culturally,
physiologically, etc.)? Regarding physiology, understand how to differentiate real
and fake smiles.
Emotions: mental states or feelings associated with our
Identify ways in which social situations influence behavior (through social comparison
theory, social contagion, & social facilitation).
Social Psychology: the study of how people influence others behavior, beliefs, and
1. Describe how we define mental disorders (rarity, deviance, distress or impairment,
dysfunction, frequency/length of illness). Describe the advantages/disadvantages of
categorical definitions of mental illness. Describe the advantages/disadva
ENC 1101 Summer 13 - Course Schedule
* I will notify you of any changes made to the schedule by email through your school email
account and Blackboard, so check both sites daily!
* Items in the Homework boxes are what you need to accomplish outside of cla
AFA 1003-02 DIVERSITY AND JUSTICE
Syllabus, 2013 Summer C
Dr. Marc Gertz
T R 12:301:45 pm
312 Hecht House
TR after class or by app