1. How are brain waves measured?
Brain waves are measured by their frequency using an EEG.
2. What did Sigmund Freud think was the source of most emotional problems?
He believed that people struggle to repress the context of the unconscious m
1. What are the main arguments/points presented in the video about consciousness?
Present your opinion about the arguments. Do you agree with all points? Feel free to
offer you personal reflections about the video.
Philosopher Dan Dennett mak
1. Describe how the eye changes visible light to an image.
First, light passes through the cornea. It bends the light inward. The light then passes
through the pupil. After entering the eye through the pupil, the light passes through the
Choose ten illusions from those available on the website. Identify each illusion and
provide a brief summary for each.
1. Stepping foot illusion- There are two colored feet that appear to move
alternately. It is noticeable that they are actua
1. Describe what happens in the nervous system when you duck your head to avoid an
object flying toward it.
In a split second you: see the object, nerve carry the information from your eyes to your
brain, your brain processes the information,
1. For each part of the brain, present a detailed description of the part and how that part
The brain is made up of about 100 billion nerve cells called neurons. Neurons
gather and send signals throughout the body. They come in man
1. What is Eriksons psychosocial task of late adulthood? What problem results if this
task is not accomplished?
Ego integrity is accepting how ones life has turned out and is coming to terms with the
end of their lives. If this isnt accomplis
1. How many Americans may have early onset of Alzheimer's disease?
About 250,000 to half a million people suffer from early onset Alzheimer's.
2. How many Americans suffer from all forms of the disease?
Approximately 5.1 million people have a
1. Describe the role of hormones in puberty.
Hormones stimulate the pituitary gland which secretes more hormones. Those
hormones then stimulate the gonads to secrete sex hormones. The sex hormones then
travel through the body where they trigg
1. How would you characterize the style of parenting under which you were raised? Was
the same style used by both of your parents?
I was raised with an authoritarian style of parenting. Both of my parents were dominant
with this style.
I believe that while teenagers are the most unpredictable creatures, theres
always a choice to be made. Girls can be very hormonal, which means that their
attitudes will change drastically for a week out of each month. During that week guys
1)What are identical twins? What explains differences they may develop?
They are children fertilized from the same egg. Their differences are due to differences
in their environments.
2)Describe physical developments that occur in infants bet
Life span development
1. What are the three "domains" that affect development? Describe each domain.
The biological domain involves bodily changes, maturation, and growth. The cognitive
domain involves mental processes of knowing, imagining,
I believe that divorce is is harmful to children. I am a living example of it. I was in
sixth grade when my parents made it official. I was a sweet child up until it happened.
Something in me changed for a while there. I was always angry and hateful. I di
1)What is Eliza and how does it work?
Eliza is one of the original chat bots programmed to behave as a Rogerian
psychotherapist. It gives us a virtual therapy session.
2)Eliza uses person-centered therapy. What does that mean?
Person-centered therapy is a
1)What are the two mains reasons that psychologists do research?
They do research for the sake of increasing knowledge and for the goals of learning
better ways to help people.
2)Why is an experiment called a controlled study?
They are called controlled s
1)What are four phases in doing research? Describe each.
Discovery phase- your observations, beliefs, and general knowledge that lead
you to come up with a new question
Justification phase- you bring evidence to bear on your hypothesis
1) What is the focus of community psychology?
2) It deals with the mental health and social welfare issues within the community
3) List three medical services that psychiatrists can provide but a psychologist can
4) They can order laboratory