The application of science
to criminal and civil laws
that are enforced by
police agencies in a
criminal justice system.
Forensic Science relies
on the scientists ability
to supply accurate and
that reflects the events
that have occu
Physical states of matter
Solid- Definite shape and volume
Liquid- Occupies a specific volume,
but its fluidity causes it to take the
shape of the container in which it is
Gas- Has neither a definitive shape or
ANSWERS TO ADDITIONAL
1. Forensic science is the application of science to criminal and civil laws that are
enforced by police agencies in a criminal justice system.
2. Orfila published the first scientific treatise on the detection of poisons a
CHAPTER 4 STUDY GUIDE
1. Define the terms physical property and chemical property.
A physical property is the behavior of a substance without alteration of the
substances composition through a chemical reaction. A
1. Define physical evidence.
2. Discuss the responsibilities of the first police officer who arrives at a crime scene.
3. Explain the steps to be taken for thoroughly recording the crime scene.
4. Describe proper procedures f
1. List the common types of physical evidence encountered at crime scenes.
2. Explain the difference between the identification and comparison of physical
3. Define individual and class characteristics. Give example
Study Guide: Chapter 10
1. List the A-B-O antigens and antibodies found in the blood for each of the four blood types: A, B, AB,
2. Explain why agglutination occurs.
3. Explain how whole blood is typed.
Chapter 11 Questions
1. The fundamental unit of heredity is the gene .
2. Each gene is actually composed of DNA , specifically designed to carry out a single body function.
3. A(n) polymer is a very large molecule made by linking a series of repeating