Adolescent and School Health. (2014, February 27). Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from
Zhyon, J. (n.d.). ASPE. ASPE. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from
8. What circumstances favor a monogamous mating system over a polygamous system?
Two factors, when males are equivalent to females in ability to care for offspring and therefore
can impact their fitness positively by being monogamous and helping their mat
Issues II: US Healthcare System
Midterm Paper Rubric
General guidance and requirements
10-12 pages, double-spaced, 1 margins
Title and reference pages do not count
APA format, including references and in-text citations
5. A sample of mice from a population finds 18 mice with straight hair (RR), 17 mice with wavy
hair (Rr) and 40 mice with curly hair (rr). Based on this sample, is the population evolving?
18 - RR, 17 - Rr, 40 - rr p = proportion of R = 0.353; q = proport
2. What are the criteria used to define species under the Biological Species Concept and the
Phylogenetic Species Concept? What do these two concepts agree on, in terms of the process of
speciation? What do they disagree on?
BSC Reproductive isolation of
4. What is carrying capacity? As a population grows towards carrying capacity in logistic
growth, what happens to population growth rate? Why and how does this happen?
Carrying capacity is the maximum number of individuals in a population that can be supp
NSCI 1: Introduction to Neuroscience
Date Due: 9-10-2014
20 Points Possible
Read this article: http:/www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140625130137.htm, then answer the following
questions in the space provided.
1. Describe how th
1. Identify and briefly define the five mechanisms of evolutionary change?
natural selection those individuals with alleles that produce more favorable phenotypes for the
environment survive and reproduce at higher rates than those without the alleles
Stress may elicit stronger autonomic nervous system reactions, triggering
sympathetic responses that include heart rate, heart rate variability, and
muscle activity (Hsiao-Pei, 2011).
Hypertension is strongly correlated with increase
Figure 1. Effects of Psychological Stress on the % Change in Heart Rate from
Resting Heart Rate. While competition seemed to have increased the change in
heart rate, a P-Value of 0.17 (n=10) is too high for us to reject Ho. Hence we must
The purpose of this study was to investigate if psychological stress or
anxiety can significantly alter heart rate and/or mean arterial pressure.
If the introduction of psychological stress can significantly alter heart rate
There is a difference between obesity and overweight, overweight is having excess body weight
for all aspects including height, water weight, etc. Obesity is defined as having excess body fat,
obesity can be determined by taking a BMI test. The percentage
A) species share a community because of similar abiotic requirements.
B) communities generally lack sharp geographic boundaries.
C) if a species disappears from the community, its role will be assumed by another species.
D) all species in a natural commun
74) What is the relationship between colonizing success and the number of species already established on an island?
A) As the number of established species on an island decreases, colonizing success also decreases.
B) There is no relationship between the
69) A biologist measures predation rates by crab spiders on flower-visiting insects in a particular field community.
Then the biologist experimentally removes as many of the spiders as she can. She discovers that predation rates
remain the same but that t
65) According to the equilibrium model of island biogeography, all of the following contribute to greater species
diversity on an island except
A) a relatively recent formation of the island.
B) a shorter distance of the island from the mainland.
C) a big
43) Which of the following statements concerning the control of community structure is false?
A) A bottom-up community is controlled by nutrients.
B) A top-down community is controlled by predators.
C) Increasing the biomass of vegetation in a bottom-up c
59) A community's actual evapotranspiration is a reflection of
A) solar radiation, temperature, and water availability.
B) the number of plants and how much moisture they lose.
C) the depth of the water table.
D) energy availability.
E) plant biomass and
19) Two species of insects from different geographic areas display characteristic black and red stripes. Which of the
following is unlikely to be related to this phenomenon?
A) aposematic coloration
B) convergent evolution
C) common ancestry
removed was likely a(n)
A) community facilitator.
B) keystone species.
D) resource partitioner.
E) mutualistic organism.
Topic: Concept 53.2
40) Which of the following statements about community interactions is n
54) the relationship between the larvae of small wasps and caterpillars
Topic: Concept 53.1
55) Following clear-cutting of a broadleaf forest several hundred years ago, the land was colonized by herbaceous
species that were repl
48) Which of the following statements about the Yellowstone National Park fires of 1988 is false?
A) Secondary succession followed the fires.
B) The dominant lodgepole pines required fire to complete their normal life history.
C) Human environmental polic
29) All of the following are terms that ecologists use to describe communities except for
A) species richness.
B) species diversity.
C) Batesian diversity.
D) trophic structure.
Topic: Concept 53.2
30) The spec
24) All of the following represent ways that animals defend themselves against predators except
A) incorporating plant toxins into their tissues.
B) cryptic coloration.
D) interspecific competition.
E) hiding or fleeing.