Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?
First published in Epoch, Fall 1966. Included in Prize Stories : O Henry Award Winners (1968), and
The Best American Short Stories (1967).
Copyright by Joyce Carol Oates
for Bob Dylan
Her name was Connie. She was
by Albert Camus. Translated by Justin O'Brien.
The schoolmaster was watching the two men climb toward him. One was on horseback, the
other on foot. They had not yet tackled the abrupt rise leading to the schoolhouse built on the
English 12-Existentialism: Socratic Seminar Assignment
Target: Put your literary analysis, listening, and speaking skills to the test and impress your
instructor and your peers.
What is it?
A Socratic Seminar is a student-led disc
Academic English IV
Senior Research Paper
Marking Period 3
1. You will write your research paper on any of the suggested topics below related to one of
the works of literature we have read so far this year. This includes Oedipus, Antigon
The Ones Who Walked Away From Omelas
In your notebooks, answer the following questions. Responses should be 1 paragraph with direct
references to the text.
Throughout the story, what assumptions does the narrator make about the reader? Why
do you think t
Night: Study Guide
1. Select one passage that shows how Elie feels about God/his religious faith. Quote the passage WORD FOR
WORD, citation: (Night, pg #). Explain what the passage shows about Elie and his relationship with G
Night by Elie Wiesel
A nonfiction journey of
evil and unspeakable
horror that should never
Night by Elie Wiesel
Focus on observation - describes an
event that the writer witnessed
Elie Wiesel - Bearing W
William Shakespeare: Basic
A. Born in Stratford-upon-Avon
1. Precise date unknown, baptized
2. Middle class family; father made gloves
B. Education: attended grammar school
1.Poverty struck the family and forced
Shakespeare to leave
Academic Eng IV
Hamlet Act IV
1. Summarize scene one.
2. Summarize scene two.
3. Explain the pun of Polonius being at supper.
4. Why must the king not put the strong law on [Hamlet]?
5. Claudius ha
Hamlet Act Two Questions
Scene 1 Polonius sends his servant to spy on Laertes in Paris
1. What kind of person do you think Polonius is?
Ophelia describes how Hamlet entered her room.
2. Why does Hamlet act so strangely?
Scene 2 Polonius insists that Hamle
Act I Study Guide
As you read Act I of Hamlet, respond to the following questions in your notebook using textual
evidence to support your answers.
1. Why does the Ghost of Hamlets father appear but not speak to the o
A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND- FLANNERY OCONNOR
1. If the old woman had kept her mouth shut, not revealing that she recognized The Misfit, would
Bailey, his mother, his wife, and the children be alive at the end of the sto