Study Guide — Probability and Counting Rules
1. What is the set of all possible outcomes of a probability experiment?
E) sample space
D) 1'v'enn diagrams
2. How many possible outcomes would there be if three coins were tossed once?
34. Box A contains thenumbers 1:2:3:and4_ Box B contains the numbers 5: I5: 7": and 3. A number is ﬁrst
drawn from Box A and then another number from Box B. Using Figure 4—2: how many outcomes are
possible if both numbers are even?
27". It has been reported that 3% ofall ears on the highway are traveling at speeds in excess of TD mph. If
the speeds of four random automobiles are measured T.aia radar= what is the probability that at least one
ear is going over Tl} mph?
23. On an eigh
1?. Ha single card is drawn from an ordinary deck of oarels= what is the probability of drawing either a
18. If one eard is drawn from an ordinary deck of earels= what is the probability that the eard will be
A recent poll by the American Automobile Club found that 39% of those surveyed are worried ab out
aggressive drivers on the road. If three people are selected at random= what is the probability that all
three will be worried about aggressi
When the outcome or occurrence of the ﬁrst event does not affect the outcome or occurrence of the
second event in such a way that the probability is changed: the events are said to be dependent.
Two events A and B are if t
A child gets 22 heads out of 3D tosses ofa ooin. This wouldbe an example of type of
If one tosses a coin enough times= the number of heads and tails will tend to “even out." This is an
example of the
If a die were rolled= the e
16. Given the following VBIIII diagram, which of the following equations would he used to calculate the
probability of either event .4, event 3, or event C occurring.
) HAmBorC3= HAJ+HBJ+P<CJ
I3. In a recent study= the following data was obtained in response to the question= “Do you favor recycling
in your neighborhood?"
Yes N0 No Opinion
Males 25 15 ID
Females 3D ID ID
If a person is picked at random= what is the probability that the person i
5. If a red suit is drawn from an ordinary deck of cards= what is the probability that the card is a diamond?'
T. A compound event consists oftwo or more outcomes or simple events.
3. Classical probability was the
4. If a sportscaster makes an educated guess as to how well a team will do this season= he is using what
type of probability?
A) classical probability
B) conditional probability
C) empirical probability
D) subjective probability
5. The staffata small comp
3D. A box contains blue chips and red chips. A person selects two chips without replacement. If the
probability of selecting a blue chip and a red chip is 113 = and the probability of selecting a blue chip
on the ﬁrst draw is 16 = ﬁnd the probability