REVIEW / STUDY GUIDE
MOTION IN THE OCEAN (WAVES, TIDES, & CURRENTS)
1. Draw an ideal wave below and label: crest, trough, wavelength, wave height
2. Define &/or be able to calculate :
a) wave period
b) wave speed
c) wave steepness
ECHINODERM REVIEW SHEET
Instructions: Fill in the blanks of this incomplete outline. Use the back of this paper for additional notes, etc.
I. General Info
A. Phylum name means _ skinned
B. _ symmetry
C. All marine
D. Can regenerate; au
Four Groups Of Marine Mammals
Seals, Sea Lions, Wa
ECOLOGY AND WATERSHEDS
1. Define the following ecological terms:
B. carrying capacity
E. limiting resource
Per _ Date _
PORIFERA & CNIDARIA REVIEW
1. Define the following Poriferan terms:
Collar cells (choanocytes)
2. How do sponges feed? What do they eat?
3. Where are most sponges found?
INTRO TO WAVES
INSTRUCTIONS: Complete the following notes bases on the Ocean Waves Lesson & Global Impact Presentations.
Ocean Waves Lesson
1. Waves are a complex mix of _ & _.
2. Within a w
Body temp. changes with the
temp. of the surroundings
Used to breathe water
into mouth & out gills
Protect the body
- Protects against bacteria and
Fins for swimming
MARINE BIOLOGY FINAL EXAM REVIEW
(You will be responsible for each of the following concepts on the FINAL EXAM)
4 chordate characteristics
Tunicates (sea squirts)
ESTUARIES REVIEW GUIDE
1. What is an estuary?
2. Describe the biotic and abiotic components of each of the following estuarine habitats.
- salt marsh
piers, rocks, jetties
3. Name the 4 types
A semi-enclosed body of water in which ocean water is
significantly diluted by freshwater from land runoff
Coastal Plain Estuary
Sea invades existing river valley
Also called drowned river valley
~ 7.5 cm (3 in.) long
500 sp in N. Amer.
Decapods = 10 legs
Exoskeleton = shed w/growth (molting)
Looks like small lobster
Most active at night
1. List 5 characteristics of the Phylum Arthropoda.
2. Name examples of each of the following Arthropod classes and describe characteristics of each.
3. Define the following terms:
AGNATHA AND CHONDRICHTHYES
OVERALL FISH CHARACTERISTICS
Define the following terms:
Gills (pick up 02 and release CO2)