January 24, 2016
1. Explain the three eras of rapid growth in UN membership.
1. 1955: 16 countries joined, mostly European that had been liberated from Nazi Germany
2. 1960: 17 new members, all but one a former African colony of
November 30, 2015
1. Describe the main dialects in the United States.
New England: These colonies were established and inhabited almost entirely by settlers from
Southeastern: About half came from southeastern England, although they
November 19, 2015
1. Name the largest language families.
The largest language families are the Indo-European, Sino-Tibetan, Afro-Asiatic, Austronesian, Dravidian,
Niger-Congo, Altaic, Japanese, and Korean.
2. Based on Figure 5-3, what are th
17 November 2015
History of Baseball
Baseball is an immensely popular American game, and is commonly known as the
"national pastime. It is an intense game played between two teams of nine players on the field
each. The basic com
October 23, 2015
1. Describe the difference between international and internal migration.
International migration is the permanent movement from one country to another. Internal migration is a
permanent move within the same country.
2. How m
October 16, 2015
1. Summarize the four stages of the epidemiologic transition.
Stage 1: Pestilence and Famine (High CDR)
Principal cause of death: infectious and parasitic diseases
Stage 2: Receding Pandemic (Rapidly Declining CDR)
October 11, 2015
1. Describe the four stages of the demographic transition.
Characterized by high birth rates and high fluctuating death rates.
Population growth was kept low by Malthusian "preventative" (late age at marria
Chapter 2: Population and Health
Key Issue 1: Where Is the Worlds Population Distributed?
Global population is concentrated in a few places. Human beings tend to avoid parts of Earths surface
that they consider to be too wet, too dry, too cold, or too mou
September 20, 2015
1. Explain differences between early maps and contemporary maps.
The earliest surviving maps were drawn in the Middle East in the seventh or sixth century and based off
information given by sailors; most were used to demon
November 12, 2015
1. Describe the origin, diffusion, and distribution of TV around the world.
TV diffused throughout the world during the 20th century starting from the U.S. to Europe and then to
2. How much TV do you w