1. What is an indication that an inadequate power supply is the source of an intermittent
you don't see any indicator lights or fans spinning
BIOS loses its date and time settings
the system tries to boot from the wrong device
A micro-ATX motherboard will fit into a case that follows what minimum standard?
What tool can help discover and report computer errors and conflicts that occur when you first
turn on a computer and before the o
1. What can a DIMM use to hold data and amplify a signal just before the data is written to
2. What component of a processor handles all logical comparisons and calculations inside
1. Which of the following works closely with the processor to collectively control memory, buses on
the motherboard, and some peripherals?
2. Which technology replaced the 64-bit Front Side Bus and has 16 lanes for data
5 out of 5 points
What do you call a connector on a motherboard that consists of pins that
stick up from the board?
If a ground strap is unavailable, what should be done to dissipate any ESD
1. Which of the following is an example of diagnostic software that is used by several laptop
2. Why is it so important to find out if a laptop is still under warranty before servicing it?
What statement regarding satellite connections is accurate?
It provides low latency connection
It requires line of sight connectivity
It provides higher throughput than other
It is only avail
1. What motherboard slot has direct access to the North Bridge?
secondary PCIe slot
ATA bus slot
primary PCIe slot
2. The QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) replacement for the Front Side Bus utilizes how many
lanes for data packets?
Practice Quiz 1
1. Which of the following ports always carries digital audio and can work with electrical or optical
A smart watch is an example of what type of mobile device?
a. Convert the pool heating system from electrical to solar power
Build a 4-mile nature hiking trail
Renovate the horse barn
Launch a new promotional campaign with Hawaii Airlines
Convert 12 adjacent acres into a wildlife pre
Thinking Critically Page 112
1. You are not able to print a Word document on a Windows 7 computer to a network printer. The
network printer is connected directly to the network, but when you look at the Devices and Printers
window, you see the name of the
Thinking Critically Pg.223
1. The three yellow DIMM slots indicate triple channeling. This indicates the motherboard
uses three DDR3 DIMMs. In order to be certain, you can remove the DIMM memory
slots placed in the motherboard look for the position of the
Hands-on Project 5-1 Research a Processor Upgrade or Replacement
1. What is the brand and model of your motherboard? What processor socket does it use? How did you
find your information?
I found this information in the motherboards user
Hands- on Project 4-2. Research the Intel ARK Database
Intel provides an extensive database of all its processors, chipsets, motherboards, and other products at
ark.intel.com. Research the database and answer these questions:
1. List four Third Generation
Real Problem 4-3 Maintaining Motherboard
1. There are several methods that can implemented to flash BIOS. First you must know the
model number of your motherboard, this can usually be found embedded on the side of
your motherboard. Also if your board is m
Pg 812 Thinking Critically
Linda has been assigned the job of connecting five computers to a network. The room holding
the five computers has three network jacks that connect to a switch in an electrical closet down
the hallway. Linda decides to install a
Real Problem 5-3: Memory Research Game
In a group of four players with Internet access and a fifth person who is the scorekeeper, play the
Memory Research Game. The scorekeeper asks a question and then gives players one minute to find the
best answer. Fiv
Real Problem 6-1: Data Recovery Problem
The quickest way would be to remove the hard drive from the computer and connect it to a USB hard
drive adapter. Once this is done, the hard drive can be inserted into an operational workstation where it
will be rec
1. Originally developed by IBM, what protocol is used by Windows to share files and
printers on a network?
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
Server Message Block (SMB)
File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
1. What type of Double Data Rate SDRAM uses 288 pins?
2. How many pins are on a DDR DIMM?
3. What is the data path width for a DIMM that supports ECC?
4. What is the name of the memo
1. Which statement regarding hard drives is incorrect?
tracks on a hard drive are divided into sectors
a solid state drive has no moving parts
the 3.5" size is typically used in desktops
solid state drives are less expensive than magnetic hard
Choice 3: Types of Networks and the Internet Connections They Use
Networks can be categorized according to their size and connectivity. Below
is a list when categorizing by size:
PAN (personal area network) is a small network consisting of personal
Choice 1: Understanding TCP/IP and Windows Networking
In the computer world, networking means communication between two or
more computers. This communication is comprised of three steps that are computer
identification, protocol agreement, and request/ans
Choice 4: How do I Select and Purchase the Right Memory Modules
When the time comes to buy or upgrade the RAM modules on a motherboard,
there are some guidelines that need to be followed. These guidelines are important
because frequently, finding the exac
Choice 1 - Hard Drive Technologies.
Hard disk drives, also simply called hard drives, are secondary storage
devices commonly used in computers (desktops and laptops). They are
manufactured in three sizes. The 2.5 size is used in laptops, the 3.5 size is u
Choice 1: Printer Types and Features.
There are four categories of printers, and they are laser, inkjet, impact, and
Laser printers are electro-photographic devices that function by depositing
toner on an electrically charged drum that was marked
1. What are the three most popular form factors used for motherboards?
The most popular motherboard form factors are ATX, microATX (a smaller version of ATX), and
mini-ITX (a smaller version of microATX).
2. Which type of Intel chipset was the first to su