- The C-4 pathway refers to a series of reactions that have evolved in plants
live in hot, dry (arid) climates.
- The C-4 pathway occurs immediately before the Calvin cycle and provides an
alternate method for carbon fixation.
- It is nec
WATER POLLUTION TERMS
Biological Magnification The increasing concentration of a harmful, and
usually toxic, substance as it moves up the food chain. The toxins tend to
be stored in the fatty tissues of the animal.
Ex. DDT was 400x more concentrated in to
Describe how the five soil forming factors affect the development of soil
Parent Material The unconsolidated material (organic and inorganic) in which soil
formation begins. (ex. rock, volcanic ash, sediments deposited by
wind or glaciers, etc.)
- The par
Primary Treatment This process involves the screening, skimming, and settling of debris.
Skimming helps remove grease, oil, plastic, soap, and floating objects. Screening removes
large objects such as wood and rocks which are sent to lan
Scientific Method A logical and orderly approach to solving a problem.
There are several important steps that are included in this process:
Define the problem - Asks a specific question. It is important to narrow the scope
of the problem during this step.
Occur in the thylakoids of the chloroplast. Process converts light
energy into chemical energy.
Chlorophyll and other pigments are located in units called photosystems,
which are inside the thylakoid membrane.
Survival in an Estuary
Life in a Transition Zone
As you view the images that follow, observe the environmental conditions for species
that live in the estuary. Be prepared to describe physical conditions for one species.
Consider conditions such as temper
DNA STRUCTURE AND REPLICATION
Leading Strand The DNA strand that replicates in the direction that follows the movement
of the replication fork. (continuous synthesis occurs).
Lagging Strand The DNA strand that replicates in the direction opposite the move
Characteristics of Life
Cellular Basis of Life :
- Living things are organized out of basic structural units called cells (smallest living units)
- Cells can organized into more complex structures in multicellular organisms:
* Potential of hydrogen: it is a measure of the amount H+ ions (or H3O+ ions) in a solution
* In a neutral pH (7), the number of H+ ions equals the number of OH- ions.
* The concentration of H+ ions in pure water is 1 x 10-7 Moles per