1. oxidation-reduction reactions
1. Oxidation-reduction reactions, which are reactions involving a transfer of
electrons from one species to another.
2. oxidation number
1. The concept of oxidation numbers was developed as a simple way of keeping
1. Dene internal energy, state function, and work (include formula).
a. In thermodynamic system, the sum of the kinetic and potential engirds of the particles
making up the system is referred to as its internal energy, U. A State Function is a
Give the equilibrium (chemical) equation for AgCl and Mg(OH)2 in H2O.
a. AgCl (s) Ag+ + Clb. Mg(OH)2 Mg2+ + 2OH-
2. Dene the solubility product constant. Give the solubility product constant expressions for
AgCl and Mg(OH)2.
a. In general, the solubili
I. Dene the 3 acid-base concepts presented in this Chapter.
A. An acid, in the Arrhenius concept, is a substance that, when dissolved in water,
increases the concentration of hydronium ion, H3O+ (aq). A base, in the Arrhenius
concept, is a substance that,
A. Chemical Reaction Chemical kinetics is the study of reaction rate, how reaction rates
change under varying conditions, and what molecular events occur during the overall
B. The reaction rate is the increase in molar concentration of
1) Define solute and solvent
1) The solute is the component in smaller amount. The Solvent is the
component in greater amount.
2) Define solubility
The amount that dissolves in a given quantity of water at a given
temperature to give a saturated solution
I. Define melting, freezing, vaporization, sublimation, and condensation.
A. Melting is the change of a solid to the liquid state, known as fusion.
B. Freezing is the change of a liquid to the solid state.
C. Vaporization is the change of a solid or a liq
1. Dene hybrid orbitals (Chapter 10)
Hybrid orbitals are orbitals used to describe bonding that are obtained by taking
combinations of atomic orbitals of the isolated atoms.
2. Give the type of hybrid orbitals and describe the bonding involved in methane
I. Dene the acid-ionization constant and give the equilibrium expression
A. For a weak acid, the concentrations of ions in solution are determined from the
acid-ionization constant, which is the equilibrium constant for the ionization of a
weak acid. The
Density of Rubber and Four Pure Metals
CHM 1045C: General Chemistry I
May 20, 2014
Lab Partner: Vicky
Determining the density of rubber and four pure metals using water displacement.
The purpose of this lab is to determine the d
The Determination of the Molar Mass and Ka for a
Weak Monoprotic Acid
The Determination of the Molar Mass and Ka for a Weak Monoprotic Acid
The purpose of this lab was to determine the molar mass and Ka for a weak m