1. Do you agree with the film's statement that Eisenhower's fears have been realized,
and that the needs of the "military-industrial complex" have been the principal drivers
behind the numerous U.S. invasions since WWII? Or were there other factors at wor
1. Post-war issues
The plight of Holocaust survivors
No place to go; DP camps
Great Britain and Palestine
Creation of Israel
War criminal trials
The hunt continues for Nazi war criminals even today!
2. Truman and the
A. The Post-War Political Setting
1. In what ways was Truman different from FDR, and how did his new approach seem to make enemies
in both parties?
2. What problems were created by military demobilization?
3. What benefits did the G.I. Bill give to WWII v
After secret negotiations between U.S. emissary Henry A.
Kissinger and North Vietnamese representative Le Duc Tho in 1972,
Nixon engaged in diplomatic maneuvering with China and the USSR
and stepped up bombing of North Vietnamto pressure the North
Topics to review:
1. Joseph McCarthy and McCarthyism
a. His targets and enemies
b. His impact on elections
c. Overall impact on American culture
d. The reasons for his popularity and power
e. The end of his reign of terror
2. Dwight D. Eisenhower: the rig
1. What impact did the plane ride on United Arab Airlines to Cairo have on Malcolm X?
What impact did the plane ride to Jedda have on Malcolm X?
2. That morning was when I first began to reappraise the white man. It was when I first
Nurses No person or corporation shall require any white female nurse to nurse in wards
or rooms in hospitals, either public or private, in which negro men are placed. Alabama
Buses All passenger stations in this state operated by any motor transportation
JFK: Image vs. reality
Family and background
The secret medical history of JFK: illnesses, conditions, and treatments
2. The Election of 1960: How did JFK win?
The power of TV and image: The debates
Winning in the North and South
Martin Luther King
escape from the
crushing weight of
Great Society laws and programs: what did each
one promise to do? How did each program
work? How successful was it?
Economic Opportunity Act of 1964
You watched Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg read their own writings.
Also, you read the excerpt from On the Road, Neal Cassadys letter, several
poems, and the overall introduction to the Beat Generation and Kerouacs
approach to On the Road. So . . . what