During the late 1800s and early 1900s, there were a lot of problems in Americas society.
Some people didnt care about these problems, but others were motivated to make changes.
People wrote books addressing these problems, protested
Westward Migration Essay
In 1800, the United States only had around 895,000 square miles of territory. By 1900,
the U.S. expanded itself to around 3,000,000 square miles of territory. There have been many
events and developments that have affected
Westward expansion was promoted in many ways by the federal government in the
1800s. This extension of the United States had a big influence on the country. Westward
expansion brought railroads, new cities, gold mines, new farmland, more
The United States Constitution divides the power to govern among the executive,
legislative, and judicial branches of the national government. The Constitution provides for a
system of checks and balances to prevent one branch from domi
Geographic factors have had impacts on the United States governments decisions.
Things like climate, resources, physical environment, and location are reasons for these
decisions. Examples of this are the Louisiana
The U.S. felt the need to get involved in Vietnam for a number of reasons. They believed
their involvement was a way to prevent communism from taking over South Vietnam, and this
was part of their containment strategy. North Vietnam was fighting
- America wants to be allies with Japan to avoid communism.
- Korean war is an example of US policy of containment- stop the spread of communism.
- Truman thought that MacArthur threatened the constitutional principle of civ
- Korematsu vs. US -Japanese Americans put in internment camps after bombing of Pearl
- Schenk v US- Told people not to join the draft- arrested
BOTH PROVED RIGHTS CAN BE LIMITED!
- Due Process Rights
- Rights to be told charges again
Pros and Cons of New Deal
-Employed millions of people.
- Granted long term loans to people that were about to lose their homes.
- Social Security Act gave benefits to retired and unemployed people.
- Foreclosure rates went down.(HOLC)
- Gave people
The manufacture, transportation, import, export, and the sale of alcoholic
beverages became illegal to lower crime rates, lower social problems, and
improve the health of Americans
May 16th, 1920
o Five months after the prohibition of