In the mid 1700s, industry and factories began to spring up in England, otherwise known as
the Industrial Revolution. New machines and technologies were introduced and a more efficient
way of production was developed. Although production was now more effi
Paleolithic Period- The Paleolithic period is also sometimes referred to as the Old
Stone Age; it is an ancient stage of human development characterized by the earliest
creation and use of stone tools.
Fertile Crescent- The Fertile Crescent is a region of
1. The Lost Boys of Sudan were a group of young boys from the Nuer and Dinka
tribes that were split from their families during the 1980 Sudanese Civil War,
when new Islamic laws were sprung across the nation. These boys were
treated very poorly, and very
1.Chapter 15: Study Questions
2. The monsoons winds helped falicitate trade in the Indian Ocean basin, because they
were easily predicted. The winds blew towards one direction for half of the year and
then in the other direction for the other half. This a
1)Because Muhammad was a merchant, he had a lot of interaction with monotheistic Jews and
Christians. He used their idea of monotheism in Islam, with there only being one God, Allah,
instead of being polytheistic like most of the society around him.
1. The American gentry supported the revolution following the effects of the French
and Indian War. In order to pay for the war reparations, the British began to tax
the colonists. They refused to pay taxes without having representati
Question 1: Chapters 1 & 2
Both beer and wine share many similarities, as well as differences. For example,
theyre creations or origin are dated so far back in ancient history that their earliest
sign of discovery is only depicted in myths or legends. Onl
1) The first development was the construction of roads and bridges. Although these
projects were created for military reasons, they began to encourage trade as well.
Secondly many empires expanded to the point where they bordered other empires.
1) Savanna-A savanna is a grassy plain in tropical and subtropical regions, also
containing few trees.
2) SPLA- This acronym stands for the Sudanese Peoples Liberation Army, who
fought against the northerners who tried to impose Islamic laws on a non-Musl
Emperor Han Wudi sent Zhang Qian on a journey in an effort to find new allies to
untie with against the nomadic tribe of the Xiongnu that threatened their northern
borders. However he neede to travel through their territory to reach the potential
What is History?
You cant look up history in the dictionary, because that single definition is really an
interpretation of what history should mean. If you did research the word, you might
find that it is a record of the past as a whole; or th
During the late 1800s and early 1900s, there were a lot of problems in Americas society.
Some people didnt care about these problems, but others were motivated to make changes.
People wrote books addressing these problems, protested
Westward Migration Essay
In 1800, the United States only had around 895,000 square miles of territory. By 1900,
the U.S. expanded itself to around 3,000,000 square miles of territory. There have been many
events and developments that have affected
Westward expansion was promoted in many ways by the federal government in the
1800s. This extension of the United States had a big influence on the country. Westward
expansion brought railroads, new cities, gold mines, new farmland, more
The United States Constitution divides the power to govern among the executive,
legislative, and judicial branches of the national government. The Constitution provides for a
system of checks and balances to prevent one branch from domi
Geographic factors have had impacts on the United States governments decisions.
Things like climate, resources, physical environment, and location are reasons for these
decisions. Examples of this are the Louisiana
The U.S. felt the need to get involved in Vietnam for a number of reasons. They believed
their involvement was a way to prevent communism from taking over South Vietnam, and this
was part of their containment strategy. North Vietnam was fighting
- America wants to be allies with Japan to avoid communism.
- Korean war is an example of US policy of containment- stop the spread of communism.
- Truman thought that MacArthur threatened the constitutional principle of civ
- Korematsu vs. US -Japanese Americans put in internment camps after bombing of Pearl
- Schenk v US- Told people not to join the draft- arrested
BOTH PROVED RIGHTS CAN BE LIMITED!
- Due Process Rights
- Rights to be told charges again
Pros and Cons of New Deal
-Employed millions of people.
- Granted long term loans to people that were about to lose their homes.
- Social Security Act gave benefits to retired and unemployed people.
- Foreclosure rates went down.(HOLC)
- Gave people
The manufacture, transportation, import, export, and the sale of alcoholic
beverages became illegal to lower crime rates, lower social problems, and
improve the health of Americans
May 16th, 1920
o Five months after the prohibition of
ESSAY 1- 2009 Exam, Q1
A major concern the Founding Fathers shared was that majority rule could gain
too much power over government. In James Madisons Federalist 10, he states the
proposed Constitution and a well constructed Union would serve to break and
Chap 4 Questions
1. Political culture is the set of ideas that Americans share widely about who should
govern, for what ends, and by what means. In other words, political culture is a
patterned set of ways of thinking about how politics and gov
1. In the early 19th century, parties played a much larger role in elections in the
United States than they do now. Until well into the 20th century, parties
determined, or powerfully influenced, who got nominated. Members of Congress
Finance Reform Essay
After the 2000 campaigns, Congress decided to reform the Federal Election
Campaign Act of 1971, thus introducing the Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act of
2002. The new law made three significant changes: it banned soft
Every ten years, congressional reapportionment and redistricting are conducted.
Reapportionment and redistricting can either hurt or benefit a political party. Politicians
often try to manipulate the redistricting process
1. Birnbaum states that lobbying has grown because of the industrys extraordinary
economics. Corporations can receive unheard of profits by investing a relatively
small amount of money in a lobbying campaign. For example, the
1. There are three reasons why interest groups are so common in this country. First,
the more cleavages there are in society, the greater the variety of interests that will
exist. America is a nation of countless immigrants and