Vibration of earth produced by rapid release of energy (seismic waves) with
radiate in all directions from the source (focus)
Like ripples from dropping a stone in a pond, energy dissipates with distance
Earthquakes don't occur randomly. Oc
ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES W
Electromagnetic waves are created by the m o vmgg-l' of charged particles.
Charged particles in motion create a mag [3g tic eld which axQQ g as as the
tide accelerates in one direction. Then th eld g" c- l l g Q :1. g 1-": as th
1. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity?
2. The velocity of a car increases from 2.0m/s to 16 m/s in a 3.5s time
interval. Calculate the cars acceleration.
3. A car travels in reverse. Its speed changes from -2.0m/s to -9.0m/s in
1. Convert 450 centimeters to meters
a. 4.5 m
2. Convert 0.0023 hectograms to grams
a. 0.23 g
3. Convert 4.5 x 103 kilo amperes to cent amperes
a. 4.5 x 108
4. Write the following in proper scientific notation:
a. 800,000,000 meters
a.i. 8.0 x 108 if you
Velocity and Speed
1.What is the relationship between speed and velocity?
2. If you live 10.0 km from your school and it takes the school bus 0.53hour to reach the
school, what is the average speed of the bus?
3. A swimmer can swim at 9.50 m/s. If she swi
Determine the number of significant digits and the uncertainty in each
of the following.
a. 6.751 g
f. 30.07 g
k. 54.52 cm3
g. 0.106 cm
h. 0.0067 g
i. 0.0230 cm3
j. 26.509 cm
l. 0.1209 m
m. 2.690 g
n. 43.07 c
. When one gram of gasoline burns in a car's engine, the amount of energy given off is
approximately 1.03 x 104 cal. Express this quantity in joules (J). (Use 1 cal = 4.184 J)
2. The pressure reading from a barometer is 742 mm Hg. Express this reading in
_Science_ is a system of knowledge based on facts and principles.
_Technology_is the application of science to meet human needs.
Chemistry and physics are examples of _physical science_.
Geology and meteorology are examples of_earth science_.