- Use plasmids as vectors to transform bacteria with a gene for antibiotic resistance in a
- Demonstrate how restriction enzymes are used in genetic engineering
- Use electrophoresis to separate DNA fragmen
1) The primary and universal carrier of chemical energy in living beings is the ATP, this
was suggested by
A) Albert Lehninger
B) Fritz Lipmann
C) Karl Lohmann
D) Y. Subbarow
E) None of the above
2) Volume and surface area of cell have
A) No relation
True/False: Place an F before false, a T before true and leave value
judgments blank. There will be one value judgment.
_1. Cellulose can be digested by most humans and is highly nutritious.
_2. Atoms with the same atomic number but different numbers o
Sponges are simple sessile animals that lack true tissues. They have a porous body and
choanocytes. They live as suspension feeders, trapping particles that pass through the internal
channels of their bodies. They live in bot
Molluscs have a soft body that in many species is protected by a hard shell. They also have a
muscular foot, a visceral mass, and a mantle. Most molluscs are marine, though some inhabit
fresh water, and there are snails and s
13. Fertilization in animals and plants are similar because the sperm swims to the egg, which
grows in an ovary and develops in it.
14. After double fertilization the ovule develops into a seed and the ovary becomes a fruit
containing the seeds
1. The basic plant life cycle with alternation o generations is modified in angiosperms
because the reduction of the gametophyte is even more extreme than other seed plants,
consisting of just a few cells which grow entirely inside the sporophy
25. Protein deficiency is the most common form of malnutrition. Unfortunately, plants lack
important proteins and amino acids that humans need. In order to change this, crops such
as corn and wheat are being enriched with protein. However, thes
13. Some water sticks to tightly to hydrophilic particles in the soil preventing the plant to
extract all of the water.
14. Clays large surface area for binding minerals helps prevent the leaching of mineral
15. Cation exchange is a pr
1. Plants require sunlight for photosynthesis. They also need inorganic raw materials like
water, carbon dioxide, and inorganic ions to synthesize organic roots.
2. Essential nutrients are chemical elements that are require
The vast majority of known animal species are arthropods. All arthropods have a segmented
exoskeleton and jointed appendages. The diversity of arthropods is largely related to their
segmentation, hard exoskeleton, and joint
Annelids, or segmented worms, are distinguished from other worms by their body segmentation.
Annelida means little rings referring to the annelid bodys resemblance to a series of fused
rings. Earthworms are the most familiar