a) Add 8 drops of HCl
b) Centrifuge and add 1 drop of
c) Centrifuge and decant (save
liquid for 3)
d) Wash precip. (save for 2)
a) Add 1mL if NH3 to precip. from
b) Stir and dissolve
c) Add 15 drops of HCl
d) Stir and te
1. The half-life of phosphorus-32 is 14.30 days. How many milligrams of a 20 mg
sample will remain after 85.8 days?
a. 3.333 mg
b. 0.6250 mg
c. 0.3125 mg
d. 0.1563 mg
2. In the figure below, what type of nuclear activity is represented?
Which factor could explain the energy difference between the trials?
a. Heat was added to trial #2.
b. A catalyst was added to trial #2.
c. Trial #1 was stirred.
d. Trial #1 was cooled.
2. When a chemical cold pack is activated, it becomes cool to the tou
1. An open container of water is brought to a boil and heated until all of the water is
converted to water vapor. Which describes the changes in the water molecules?
a. The molecules speed up and move farther apart.
b. The molecules speed up and move clos
1. Methane (CH4) is burned in oxygen according to this balanced chemical equation:
CH4 (g) + 2O2 (g) CO2 (g) + 2H2O (g)
What volume of carbon dioxide is formed when 9.36 L of methane are burned at
a. 9.36 L
b. 15.0 L
c. 18.7 L
d. 22.4 L
2. Consider t
1. The gases helium, neon, and argon are in separate containers at 55 C. Which is
true about the kinetic energy of the gases?
a. Helium has the lowest mass and therefore greatest kinetic energy.
b. They each have a different kinetic energy.
c. Argon has t
1. What is the molarity of a solution containing 20.0 g of sodium hydroxide
dissolved in 1.0 L of solution?
a. 0.5 M
b. 0.4 M
d. 0.2 M
2. Analysis shows a compound to be, by mass, 43.8% N, 6.2% H and 50.0% O.
Which is a possible molecular formula
1. Which correctly lists four atoms from smallest to largest radii?
a. I, Br, Cl, F
b. F, I, Br, Cl
c. Si, P, S, Cl
d. Cl, S, P, Si
2. Which have the lowest electronegativities?
a. Alkali metals
c. Rare earth elements
d. Transition metals
1. Which pair of elements would most likely bond to form a covalently bonded compound?
a. Sodium and fluorine
b. Barium and chlorine
c. Phosphorus and oxygen
d. Magnesium and sulfur
2. Consider this phase diagram.
At what temperature does the normal boili
1. If the volume of an 18.5 g piece of metal is 2.35 cm3, what is the identity of the metal?
2. Which substance listed in the table is a liquid at 27C?
Chemistry Final Exam Sample Items
1. Which idea of John Dalton is no longer considered part of the modern view of atoms?
a. Atoms are extremely small.
b. Atoms of the same element have identical masses.
c. Atoms combine in simple whole number ratios to fo