April 8, 2014
Chapter 7 Response
3. Name some of the achievements of Wynton Marsalis.
Marsalis was universally acknowledged as one of the most technically gifted jazz
musicians in history. Wynton Marsalis grew up enjoying music all his life an
February 17, 2014
Chapter 2 Response
7. Describe the unique features and characteristics of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet.
Gerry Mulligan was primarily known for playing the baritone saxophone, playing
the instrument with a light and airy tone du
February 19, 2014
Chapter 3 Response
3. Why were the Jazz Messengers such an influential group? Why is Art Blakey
Drummer Art Blakey and pianist Horace Silver founded the Jazz Messengers in
1954. The Messengers were the reason hard
April 16, 2014
Dave Brubeck- Time Out
The West Coast musician that achieved the greatest commercial success over the
length of his career was pianist/ composer Dave Brubeck (Davebrubeck.com). Dave
March 19, 2014
Chapter 5 Response
2. What is soul jazz, and how does it differ from soul music and hard bop? What were
some popular soul jazz recordings?
Early on we learned that both hard bop and soul music emerged soon after the
Brown vs. Bo
March 21, 2014
Chapter 6 Response
5. Describe the sound of the album Bitches Brew. How was it put together, both during its
recording and in post-production sessions?
Bitches Brew was the first album to ever be made with jazz and rock influenc
April 28, 2014
Concert Report #2
UT Jazz Ensemble Spring Concert
I attended the UT Jazz Ensemble spring concert tonight, which was in Falk
Theater. This is the second UT Jazz concert I have attended and I enjoyed this one a lot
more than the f
April 10, 2014
Chapter 9 Response
1. Describe the state of jazz at the turn of the century and why some observers were
proclaiming that it was dead.
At the turn of the twentieth century the last thing on peoples minds were jazz
albums, let alo
April 8, 2014
Chapter 8 Response
1.Give a rough overview of some of the events and issues that shaped the jazz world in
the late 1980s and 1990s.
From the 1950s up until the 1980s jazz history could be easily seen as the stylistic
February 9, 2014
Chapter 1 Response
2. Describe why and when the jazz scenes developed in Chicago, Kansas City, and New
York, and list the characteristics of the music from each city.
Chicago in the 1920s became the most important city in the