Chapter 1: Homework Odds
Saturday, May 30, 2015
Chapter 1: 33, 37-57, 61-73, 77-97, 101, 103, 113-121, 141-147
THE SCIENTIFIC APPROACH TO KNOWLEDGE
33: Classify each of the following as an observation, a law, or a theory.
(a) All matter is made of tiny, i
Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Ch 9 Odds HW
Professor reviewed answers for Quiz 7
REVIEW QUIZ MAKE SURE YOU KNOW
Chapter 9.5 Lewis Structures: Covalent Structures
Make sure you know how
Chapter 9/45 Study Questions
1. What are the different types of local signaling that can occur between cells?
a. Compare and contrast the different types of local signaling.
b. How do chemical messengers act over long distances?
2. What type of molecule i
Chapter 13 Study Questions
1. Which observations under the microscope directly correlated with Mendels hypotheses?
a. What is the chromosome theory of inheritance?
b. How does it relate to Mendels laws?
c. At what stages of Meiosis can you observe Mendels
Chapter 4 Study Questions
1. What is the Cell Theory?
2. Compare and contrast prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
a. What do all cells have in common?
b. What are the distinguishing features that are unique to prok. vs. euk.?
c. What is the bacterial cell w
Chapter 10 Study Questions
Why do cells undergo cell division?
How many chromosomes are in a human somatic cell?
How many chromosomes are in a human gamete?
What is the difference between a chromo
Chapter 7 Study Questions
1. What is the difference between heterotrophs and autotrophs?
a. Do both types of organisms carry out cellular respiration?
b. Where do each obtain their glucose starting material for cellular respiration?
2. What is the equatio
Chapter 6 Study Questions
1. What is the difference between an anabolic pathway and a catabolic pathway?
2. What are the different types of energy?
a. Which types can be used to perform cellular work?
b. What is the first and second law of thermodynamics?
Chapter 5 Study Questions
1. What are the main components of the plasma membrane?
a. Which of those components is mostly responsible for the selectively permeable nature of
2. How can temperature affect membrane fluidity?
a. How can the hydr
Chapter 8 Study Questions
1. What is the overall equation for photosynthesis?
a. Compare and contrast to the equation for cellular respiration.
b. How do these two processes relate to each other?
c. How do photosynthetic organisms obtain the starting mate
Chapter 3 Study Questions
1. What elements make up hydrocarbons?
a. How are animal fats similar to the gas you put in your car?
b. Do hydrocarbons dissolve in water? Why or why not?
2. Be able to identify different types of isomers compare and contrast
Chapter 11 Study Questions
1. What are the differences between asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction?
a. What are some examples of organisms that carry out each?
2. How many chromosomes are in a human somatic cell?
a. Are somatic cells haploid or d
Chapter 12 Study Questions
1. What is the difference between the blending hypothesis of inheritance and the particulate
hypothesis of inheritance?
a. Which hypothesis is correct?
b. Who provided the evidence by carrying out thousands of genetic experiment
Chapter 2 Study Questions
1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?
a. What does the atomic number of an element represent?
b. What is the atomic number of fluorine (F)?
c. What does the mass number of an element represent?
d. What is t
Chapter 14 Study Questions
1. Which organisms were first tested in the experiments aiming to identify the molecule of
2. What are Chargaffs rules?
3. What is the basic structure of DNA that was published by Watson and Crick?
a. Within that st
Wednesday, July 01, 2015
Chapter 10: Chemical Bonding II
Professor is just making basic review for what we need to know
Suggest skimming over Ch 10 in book but excessive for test t
Friday, May 29, 2015
Law of Multiple
Ch. 2 Odds
Atoms should be in whole numbers; YOU CAN'T SPLIT AN ATOM
Chapter 2.3 Modern Atomic Theory
John Dalton's Atomi
Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Know how to use
Chapter 1 Evens
Chapter 1 Matter, Measurements and Problem Solving
Chapter 1.6 Units of Measurement
Temperature vs. heat
Monday, June 01, 2015
f/u due MC for < 90%.
Ch. 2 Evens
Read Through Chapter 3.7
Chapter 2.7 The Periodic table and Periodic Law
Figure 2.14 entails ions with
Thursday, June 04, 2015
Test 1: 90/100; NEED
MC CH 3 DUE !
Today's Class is important
for next quiz!
Polyatomic ions that you need to know.
Acetate C2H3O2Carbonate CO32Hydrogen
Saturday, May 09, 2015
Atoms: A submicroscopic particle that constitutes the fundamental building block of ordinary matter; the smallest
identifiable unit of an element.
Molecules: Two or more atoms joined chemically in a spe
Sunday, May 31, 2015
The laws of Conservation of Mass, Definite Proportions and Multiple Proportions
37: Ratio is 2:3
Atomic Theory, Nuclear Theory and Subatomic Particles
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
Understand how to convert ideal gas equation to simple gas laws for equations.
Vapor pressure of H2O at temperature
Collecting gases over water
Example 5.11- Collecting oxygen gas
Ptotal=755.2 mm Hg
Chapter 6 Odds 33-43,47-67,71-87,91-95,99,103
Friday, June 19, 2015
33: Convert energy units
(a) kWh to J
(b) kJ to Cal
(c ) Cal to J
(d) J to cal
35: Convert 2387 Calories
(c ) kWh
Internal Energy, Heat and Work
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Chapter 7- Quantum Mechanical model of the Atom
Understand where electrons are located in an atom and how they behave.
For HW: cross out 63-71
Chapter 5 Odds 25-65, 71-83, 87,97,105
Friday, June 19, 2015
Converting between Pressure Units
25: Convert 24.9 Hg to several units
(c ) psi
27:Convert 37.85 in Hg to several units
(c ) torr