Sample Final STA2023- Fall 2007 Note: For each hypothesis test: Define Ho and Ha, R.R., Test Statistic, Decision and Conclusion. Decision will be Reject Ho or Do not reject Ho and Conclusion is in the words of the problem. 1. The following data (rand
1. Consider conducting m hypothesis tests. Let V denote the number of type I errors. Let R denote the number
of rejected null hypotheses. Let Q = V /R if R > 0, and let Q = 0 if R = 0. Let (0, 1) be xed. By
denition, a method
(a) (5 points) Expression data were simulated for an experiment involving g = 10, 000 genes and
two treatment groups with ve independent experimental units in each treatment group. Gene2
specic variances 1 , . . . , g we
1. See handwritten notes at the end of these solutions.
2. Cut and paste the matrix of numbers to a text le. I saved that le as affypixel.txt. Open R and set the
working directory to the directory containing the le. For examp
(b) asp tyr thr cys gly
(c) The amino acid cys would change to the stop codon. Thus, we would end up with the sequence asp
2. See slide 9 of slide set number 3.
3. The notation calls for one
March 3, 2010
1. Suppose a test for differential expression is conducted for each of 100 genes. The following
table provides information about the observed p-values.
Number of p-values
Basic Biology Related to
Technology for Measuring
DNA contains genes that code for proteins.
Copyright 2011 Dan Nettleton
Proteins perform essential biological functions
Sample Final Answers STA2023- Fall 2007 1. Weights: (20.2, 15.6, 12.9, 14.2, 16.7, 15.0) a) X 15.77 s= 2.52 b) Ho: = 15 oz. Ha: > 15 oz. T.S. t = 0.7485 compared to t of 1.476, do not reject Ho, conclude that you do not have enough evidence to say
1. Answers vary.
3. Consider the following "data" to be clustered using a variety of methods described below.
For each part of the problem, assume that Euclidean distance will be used