AGR 4320: Plant Breeding
AGR5321C: Genetic Improvement of Plants
Instructor: Dr. F. Altpeter, Plant Genomics and
Biotechnology, Professor, Agronomy Department. 3085
Instructor: Dr. M A Babar, World Food crops Breeding,
Bonus Quiz 8
1. How heritable variations originate in nature ?
2. What is difference between linkage and crossing over ?
3. In a dihybrid cross where genes are in dominant and recessive
condition, if F2 phenotypic ratio doesnt follow 9:3:3:1, how do
Bonus Quiz 9
1. Mention two differences between broad and narrow sense
2. If the heritability of a trait is 0, how you can make genetic
improvement of that trait ?
3. List three gene effects involved in the estimation of
Bonus Quiz 7
1. What is plant breeding ?
2. What are the sources of variation that plant
breeders manipulate for crop improvement ?
Bonus Quiz 1
3. Which plant breeder got Noble peace prize ?
4. What is Green Revolution ?
Wheat related statistics
US position in wheat world
Origin of wheat
Most widely grown food crop
Reproduction in Crop Plants (Ch. 2)
Significance of mode of reproduction:
1. Determines the breeding procedures for genetic
2. Determines the kind of variety that is produced
3. The mode of reproduction affects the he
AGR 4320 Plan Breeding
Exam 3, March 31, 2016
You have appointed as Quinoa breeder at UF. List 5 steps that you want to implement to develop your
breeding program and explain each of those in a single statement. (8)
1) Understand Environment: The
Variations in Chromosome
Number (Ch. 5)
Different ploidy levels
Types of poly ploidy
How they originates
Application in the plant breeding
Aneuploidy, origin and application
Specific Selection Objectives in
Plants (S&P, Ch. 12)
B. Understand breeding environment
A. Selection for different traits
B. Selection for improved yield
1. Yield potential
2. Components of yield or yield per se
Basic Principles of Heredity
1. Mendel's law of inheritance
2. Predict the outcome of genetic cross
3. Branch diagram to determine phenotype and
genotype from a cross
4. Goodness of fit-chi-square test