RTV Exam 1 Review: Part 2
1. Are the freedoms- stated and implied- in any amendment absolute?
No they are not.
2. What is an independent regulatory agency? Give some examples of IRAs.
An IRA regulates a specific industry.
o Postal Service
RTV Exam 1 Review: Final section
1. Please name the five kinds of linking and the legal status of each? (I.e., what is the legal
standard for framing links, deep links, etc.?)
o Framing links Where the website youre on builds a frame but it takes you to c
RTV 4700 Exam 2 Review: Part 3
1. What was accomplished with the Communications Act of 1934?
-Set the parameters within which the FCC functions. It stipulates the organization of the
Commission, outlines the procedures to be followed, defines terms, and s
Exam 1 Review: Part 1
2 from three short answer questions (net neutrality) and 30 multiple choice
Please review the following as exam questions will be drawn from them:
1. Lecture notes
2. Chapters 1 and 2 of the textbook (especially case studie
RTV Exam 1 Review: Part 4
1. Please give an overview of the evolution of the Fighting Words Doctrine. What were
the major cases, and what did each establish?
Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire established the fighting words doctrine, which means that speech
RTV Exam 1 Review: Part 5!
1. Please describe the case Reno v. ACLU. What was established in Reno?
Challenging the constitutionality of two provisions in the 1996 Communications Decency Act.
The Court held that the Act violated the First Amendment because
EXAM 2 Study Guide
1. Please explain must-carry rules. Why were they adopted? Please describe the
alternative available to broadcast stations. Why was this alternative developed?
Must-Carry Rules and Retransmission Consent:
a. Requires cable operat
RTV 4700 Exam 2 Review: Part 2
1. Cable Leased Access
-Community and access programming
-Set aside channels that can be leased for such purposes
-Set aside 10% of channels for leased access (about 5 channels)
-Leased channels; 15% (55 and above number of
RTV Exam 1 Review: Part 3
What is judicial review, and why is it important?
The right of any U.S. court to declare a law or government action unconstitutional, Important in
the development of common law.
1. Please describe the process of civil lawsuits? W
RTV4700 Exam 2
Chapter 4: Cable and Satellite
Five Models of Regulation
o Monopoly model (cable)
o Common Carrier Model (phone)
Some Guiding Questions
o How does cable differ from broadcasting
Different media deserve different regula
RTV4700 Exam 3 Notes
Invasion of Privacy
What is privacy?
The right to be left alone
The right to solitude
The right to control your information
The right to selectively share information
o This is very new
Invasion of Privacy
An invasion of pri