The Odyssey Inquiry
Why is The Odyssey so important?
This was a famous piece of classical Greek literature which serves as a symbol
of Greek unity and culture, revealing moral lessons of heroism, pride, courage,
and honor relevant to later Greeks.
Stoicism vs. Epicureanism
Stoicism emphasizes rationalism and logic. Stoicism says to align ones
expectations with the logos, the natural law of the cosmos, and not to worry
about the rest. The main tenet of Stoicism is that emotions lead people
1. Literary Theory is the collection of strategies used to critique and attempt to
understand literature and its meanings.
2. Structural theory analyzes a work by looking at how different sections of a text
work together to build the overa
1. Why was Catullus allowed to openly mock prominent Romans without
2. What was Catulluss full name?
3. What was Lesbias relationship with Catullus?
4. What writers did Catullus influence?
5. What kind of writer was Catullus
1. Q- What is the role of women in The Iliad?
A- In terms of gods, Athena and Hera are the most powerful. The male gods are not
able to stand up to them. Mortal women mainly fall under two categories: property or
interlocutors for male cha
1. What was Ovids influence on modern literature?
2. What was the conspiracy that led to Ovids exile?
3. What is metamorphoses and why is it so special?
4. What kind of background did Ovid have?
5. Why have Ovids works withstood the test of
1. What was the conspiracy that led to Ovids exile?
a. Historians are not completely sure why Ovid was exiled from Rome
around 8 A.D. Historians speculate that is was Ovids poem Amores that
led to his exile because Ovid said that he was exi
Learn to Read Latin (Second Edition), Workbook
Copyright 2015 by Andrew Keller and Stephanie Russell
All rights reserved. This answer key may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form
without the expressed permission of the authors.
The All Important Test of Loyalty in The Odyssey
Throughout the books of The Odyssey testing operates to prove loyalty between
the characters. On Odysseus return home both he and his wife question each other to
test each others loyalty. Loyalty is the wil
Before reading The Iliad I was assigned to keep specific track of the Greek word
Metis. The most commonly used english translation for metis is cunning in specific
relation to Odysseus. Metis can also be translated as wisdom, advice, counsel
Apollo and Daphne
1. The primary focus of the passage is to tell of Apollos strong love for Daphne and
her commitment to stay a virgin. The entire translation is based around the idea
of love which is tragic throughout the story. Apollo cannot get over hi
The Aeneid Reflection
Many schools have started to ban The Aeneid from reading lists. I do not agree
with the schools decisions. I thoroughly enjoyed my reading of the epic by Virgil. I liked
the feeling of impossible events that occurred throughout the e