GOVERNMENT AND BUSINESS
Dr. Paul M. Mason
Office: 42/3003 (620-2640) Home: (880-5583)
Office Hours: F 10:00-11:30, and by appointment.
There are many sources for readings in this course, but o
Part 5 Questions: The Business Response
1. To what extent do lobbying and trade association activities occur in your
2. How have firms in your industry engaged in issue management and public
3. Have firms in your ind
Part 3 Questions: The Global Marketplace
1. What impact have NAFTA, the EU, and the Asian Rim had on your industry?
2. What kinds of transnational enterprises have arisen in your industry? Explain.
3. How has protectionism both in the U.S. and ab
Chapter 10 Questions: Reforming Regulation
Choose a single regulatory policy within your industry. Discuss the benefits and
costs associated with that policy and try to quantify those components. Derive a
tentative conclusion regarding whether the benefit
Chapter 9 Questions: Terrorism and Business
Discuss at least one incident in the last 15 years where your industry has been directly
affected by terrorism (including an estimate of the cost to the firm or industry
involved). Then discuss how your industry
Chapter 8 Questions: Deregulation
Discuss the impact of deregulation on your industry over the last twenty years. I am
particularly interested in those changes that you think improved efficiency in the
industry and those that have not. Conclude by explain
Chapter 7 Questions: Antitrust
1. Discuss one case within your industry (the more recent the better) that was
brought under antitrust legislation. Which Act or Acts were involved? What was the
outcome of the case? Explain
2. Were the governments goals mor
Chapter 6 Questions: Government and the Workplace
1. Discuss an instance when OSHA intervened in your industry. What was the
outcome, and who was protected? Explain.
2. What role if any did you find for minimum wage jobs in your industry? What
Chapter 5 Questions: Equal Employment Opportunities
There are two primary concepts in this chapter. The first is equal opportunity issues
while the second is comparable pay across genders. Below are the topics I want you to
address for each.
Chapter 4 Questions: Environmental Protection
Given the topic coverage within this chapter, my request is similar to the last chapter.
Pick one pollution issue in your industry for one firm or the industry. Discuss whether
pollution rights were granted or
Chapter 3 Questions: Government and the Consumer
Given the brevity and structure of this chapter, I only have one multiple part task for you.
Identify an example of a product liability or product recall situation within your industry
from the last ten yea
Chapter 2 Questions: Market Failure
1. Is your industry now, or was it once a natural monopoly? Explain
2. Do you perceive any external or spillover costs from your industry on society?
3. Do you perceive any external or spillover benefits from y
Chapter 1 Questions: General Issues
1. What roles do you see for government in interaction with business firms? Explain
2. In general is your perception that government improves things or mucks things up
when they intervene? Explain.
3. Do you believe tha