Art is always subject to controversy this is not and never will be a new thing. However,
that is not as important as the criticisms reasoning. Art criticism is divided into three distinct
Art Appreciation 1301
The Museum of fine Arts is one of the finest art collections in the world and I am happy
to say that it has strengthened my understanding of the wide world of art, as before
Free writing #2
Guido Reni, Italian (Bolognese), 15751642, Saint James the Greater, c. 16361638,
Oil on canvas, 52 1/8 38 7/8 in. (132.3 98.8 cm) Frame: 65 1/2 51 1/8 4 in. (166.4
129.8 10.2 cm), Mu
Book 5-11 Think back/Key-terms
1. What are the three principal theories of art criticism?
-Expressive, Formal, and Contextual.
2. How do specialists decide what art is great?
Art Apprciation 1301
October 18, y
Maximilen Luce, French, 1858-1941 Rue Ravignan, Paris, 1893, Oil on canvas, Gift of
Audrey Jones Beck, 98.289, This work is somewhat unusual of Neo-impressionism in that it
ARTS Study Guide.
Abstract Art- art that takes ordinary things, and puts it in a more
simplified, distorted, or exaggerated way.
Content- meaning or central message of art.
Iconography- Study of Icons
Medium- What art is on
Prebles Artforms, Chapters 1-4
Chapter 1 Think back
1 What is art?
-Art is the visual expression of an idea or experience, formed with
skill, through the use of a medium.
2. What are the key traits that define creativity?
-The key traits that define creat
Artists for midterm
1. Janet Echelman, monument, floats, rope.-
Her secret is patience 1
2. Robin Rhode, Showed creativity, perspective-
He Got Game 1
3. Romare Bearden, Photomontage,
1. A student I.D is needed to print, use the computers, check out eBooks, and access
2. Assessing NYT is simple, (1).go to lonestar.edu, (2).libraries, (3).research databas
Jean-Achille Benouville, French, 1815 1891, A View of the Roman Countryside, 1848,
Oil on canvas, 55 80 5/8 in. (139.7 204.8 cm), Museum purchase funded by the Blanton
family in memor
Gustave Caillebotte, French, 18481894, The Orange Trees, 1878, Oil on canvas, 61 46
in. (154.94 116.84 cm), Gift of Audrey Jones Beck, The Audrey Jones Beck Building,
222 BECK GALLERI