1. If 9% of an African population is born with a severe form of sickle-cell anemia (ss),
what percentage of the population will be more resistant to malaria because they are
heterozygous (Ss) for the sickle-cell gene?
Which of the following is a correct statement about a resting neuron?
1. It releases acetylcholine
2. The membrane is very leaky to sodium
3. The membrane is equally permeable to sodium and potassium
4. The concentration of sodium is greater inside
1. If the half-life of carbon 14 is about 5730 years then a fossil that has 1/16 the normal
proportion of carbon 14 to carbon 12 should be about how many years old?
For the following
Which feature of osmoregulation is found in both marine and freshwater bony fish.
A) loss of water through the gills.
B) gain of salt through the gills.
C) loss of water in the urine.
D) no drinking of water.
E) gain of water through food.
Anatomy and physiology:
Chapter 4: The integumentary system
The functions of the skin:
Resistance to trauma and infection
o Resists and recovers from trauma
o Tough protein: Keratin (gives durability to the epithelium)
o Acid mantle and dryness
The nervemuscle relationship
Skeletal muscle never contracts unless stimulated by a nerve
If nerve connections are severed or poisoned, a muscle is paralyzed
o Denervation atrophy: shrinkage of paralyzed muscle when connection is not
Anatomy & Physiology I
Study Guide Test 4
o KNOW YOUR LIST
o There will be a few questions asking you to identify pictures/diagrams of the most basic muscles.
These will be blank questions, in which you will have to write the name of the muscle
Study Guide Test 2
A & P 1 Fall 2016
Chapter 4 Genetics & Cellular Function
1. The nucleic acids
a. DNA structure and function (nucleotides, nitrogenous bases, etc)
b. RNA structure and function
c. Pay special attention to figures 4.1, 4.2 and 4.8
Anatomy and physiology
Sheet of cells that cover a body surface or line a body cavity
Concept 1. Land plants evolve from green algae
Charophytes closest relative of land plants
Morphological and Molecular Evidences
- Many key traits of land plants appear in some algae
- plants, as well as brown, red, and some gree
1) The circulatory systems of bony fishes, rays, and sharks are most similar to _.
A) those of birds, with a four-chambered heart
B) the portal systems of mammals, where two capillary beds occur sequentially, without passage of blood through a
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Chapter 9: Cellular Respiration and Fermentation!
Oxidation: loss of electrons
Reduction: gain of electrons
*NAD captures released e!
Need to knows: Glycolysis, Citric Acid Cycle = intermediates, # of Cs,
Sunday, September 18, 2016
Chapter 7: Membrane Structure and Function !
Life at the Edge
Plasma membrane separates living cell from its surroundings and control what goes in and out; it
exhibits selective permeability
Concept 7.1 Cellular membranes
40: 1) Penguins, seals, and tuna have body forms that permit rapid swimming, because _.
A) all share a recent common ancestor
B) all of their bodies have been compressed since birth by intensive underwater pressures
C) the shape is a convergent evolutiona
41: 1) The following table shows the contents of a multivitamin supplement and its percentage of recommended
daily values (%DV).
3. Antibody diversity
4. No Random mating
6. Microevolution Essay
7. Natural Selection
8. Replacing one body part with another
14. Variable region
17. Cell differ
There are many ways in which the human race can benefit from genetic engineering.
Genetically modified foods and the use of stem cells to grow anything and everything usually
come to mind f
Lab 9 Muscle Anatomy
Name: _ Pre-lab score: _/5_
Todays pre-lab assignment is to complete the origin, insertion and function part of todays lab. Make
sure you print this and bring it with you along with the completed assignment.
Lab 10 Electroencephalography (EEG)
Name: _ Pre-lab score _/5_
1. What is alpha block?
2. If you were to have the subject begin reading a textbook, what type of waves would you see on
3. What is artifact?
4. What is an electroencephal
Lab 7 Skin, Bones & Joints
Name: _ Pre-lab score _/5_
1. What is the most superficial layer of the epidermis
2. The skeletal system can be divided into two parts, the axial skeleton and the _
3. The hand consists of three groups of bones. The
Lab 4 Cell Structure & Mitosis
Name: _ Pre-lab score _/5
Identify the following cell parts
1._ external boundary of cell; regulates flow of materials into
and out of the cell; site of cell signaling
2._ scattered throughout the cell; major sit
Lab 3 Membrane Permeability
Name: _ TA Initials: _
Pre-lab score: _
1. In the first experiment you are performing today, there are various concentrations of sucrose in
the dialysis bag from 0 to 50%. Which percentage do you think wil
Lab 2 Enzyme Action
Name: _ Pre-lab score: _/5
1. What condition will you vary in the first experiment?
2. What is the purpose of the first experiment?
3. What condition will you vary in the second experiment?
4. What condition will you vary i
Lab 1 Body Terminology and Microscopy
Name: _ Pre-lab score: _/5
1. Circle True or False. In anatomical position, the body is lying down.
2. Circle the correct underlined term. With regard to surface anatomy, proximal/distal
refers to the stru